Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20764 Discussions

Can a Cyclone V SE SoC HPS Boot without any external memory?

Ian_Maw
Beginner

We have a system where we would like to reduce board space and cost. We would like to completely remove the SDRAM, meaning that no external RAM would be available.

The current system SDRAM capacity is hardly used (a few hundred KB).

Ideally we would remove the SDRAM and use block memory to provide additional RAM beyond the HPS 64MB on chip RAM.

We will likely use a very thin OS, so not fully bare metal.

Does anyone know for certain whether this can be done please?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
1 Solution
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ian_Maw,

You are not able to utilize the on chip memory on FPGA side without configuring the FPGA fabric in the first place thus you can only utilize the HPS 64Kb ocram.

I think will need to consider if the size is a concern in your application.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aikeu
Employee
0 Kudos
Ian_Maw
Beginner

Hi Aik,

Yes, I was hoping that we could use some of the RAM normally used by the fabric.

If we did though we would still need to boot the HPS, and we are planning to boot the HPS before configuring the FPGA if possible (without an FPGA configuration memory for the fabric if possible).

This said do you think we could boot without external RAM?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ian_Maw,

You are not able to utilize the on chip memory on FPGA side without configuring the FPGA fabric in the first place thus you can only utilize the HPS 64Kb ocram.

I think will need to consider if the size is a concern in your application.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Ian_Maw
Beginner
0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ian_Maw,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos