Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16601 Discussions

File not simulating with ModelSim-Altera

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello guys, I have the following two projects. The first one Simulates perfectly in modelsim-altera, but the second one does not show output. I want to know where is the problem in the second one??? By the way, both of them Simulate with quartus ii simulator, but I want to use ModelSim-Altera Simulator because it is better. Of course, some might think that I must have done something wrong during the Simulation with ModelSim, but then I ask, how come the first design runs without problem?? I just give value to the clock and get the output perfectly. I really appreciate your help.  

1st design 

--------------- Frequency division by 2 -----------------------------------` 

library IEEE;  

use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.all; 

use ieee.std_logic_arith.all; 

use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; 

entity freq_div_2 is 

port( 

clk : in STD_LOGIC; 

out_clk2 : out STD_LOGIC 

); 

end freq_div_2; 

architecture freq_div_2_arc of freq_div_2 is 

begin 

divider : process (clk) is 

variable m : integer range 0 to 3 := 0;  

variable n : std_logic := '0';  

begin 

if (falling_edge (clk)) then  

m := m + 1; 

if (m = 1) then 

m := 0; 

n := not n; 

end if ; 

end if; 

out_clk2 <= n;  

end process divider; 

end freq_div_2_arc; 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

2nd design 

---------------------- Frequency division by 2 ------------------- 

LIBRARY ieee; 

USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

----------------------------------------- 

ENTITY freq_div2 IS 

PORT ( clk : IN STD_LOGIC; 

out2 : BUFFER STD_LOGIC); 

END freq_div2; 

ARCHITECTURE example OF freq_div2 IS 

BEGIN 

PROCESS (clk) 

VARIABLE count2 : INTEGER RANGE 0 TO 7; 

BEGIN 

IF (clk'EVENT AND clk='0') THEN 

count2 := count2 + 1; 

IF (count2 = 1) THEN 

out2 <= NOT out2; 

count2 := 0; 

END IF; 

END IF; 

END PROCESS; 

END example; 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I think there is something with output port type declared as a buffer. I never use ports declared as a BUFFER. Use signals and assign them to output ports. I would change your code to something like this: 

---------------------- Frequency division by 2 ------------------- LIBRARY ieee; USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; ----------------------------------------- ENTITY freq_div2 IS PORT ( clk : IN STD_LOGIC; reset_n : IN STD_LOGIC; out2 : OUT STD_LOGIC); END freq_div2; ----------------------------------------- ARCHITECTURE example OF freq_div2 IS signal clk_div : std_logic; BEGIN PROCESS (clk, reset_n) BEGIN IF reset_n='0' THEN clk_div<='0'; IF (clk'EVENT AND clk='0') THEN clk_div<= NOT clk_div; END IF; END PROCESS; out2<=clk_div; END example; 

By the way why is yor process trigered from falling clock edge?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First of all, thank you very much for your code. I checked it and it works perfectly. As for why I use the falling edge of the clock, it's because it makes the comparison between the clock and the output easier. Now, do you think I could extend your code to divide by (4,6,8,......)??? Thank you for your help really.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do not mix in your design registers clocked from falling and rising edges except you are implementing DDR registers. If you are using single edge use only risig edge. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Now, do you think I could extend your code to divide by (4,6,8,......)??? Thank you for your help really. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes you can. Add counter which is incremented every clock cycle. Toggle clk_div signal when counter reaches certain amount (depends on divide by value), reset counter.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much, I took your advice and now the design works perfectly. But, I have one last question if you don't mind. I have thought about the program and now I want to divide the clock by (2,3,4,5,6,7....) rather than (2,4,6,8,10,12....) what can I do now?? The counter is integer, so when (the counter = 2 => divides by 4), when  

(counter=3 => divides by 6 and so on. But, suppose I want to divide by 3. I can't say when counter = 1.5 because it's integer. Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you very much, I took your advice and now the design works perfectly. But, I have one last question if you don't mind. I have thought about the program and now I want to divide the clock by (2,3,4,5,6,7....) rather than (2,4,6,8,10,12....) what can I do now?? The counter is integer, so when (the counter = 2 => divides by 4), when  

(counter=3 => divides by 6 and so on. But, suppose I want to divide by 3. I can't say when counter = 1.5 because it's integer. Thank you for your help. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi I never tried to implement this kind of clock divider. Why do you need such clock divider? I think in this case you will need to implement two counters. One trigered from rising edge second - from falling. Then you have to check when total count value of both counters rech your div value eg. 3. As I said before never tried this myself, just my thougts.
0 Kudos