Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

How to print signal tap graphics?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Moin, 

I'm using QII6.1. Attached signal tap to view some signals of my design; seems to work ok. Now i want to print the signal forms. When i do so, i only get the possibility to print out 69 (or a subset of them) pages; where normally 67 pages of it are without any interest for me, and on 2 pages, exact between them, there's the interesting stuff. :rolleyes:  

I haven't found yet any possibility to scale the interesting section to a reasonably size _and_ print this. I'm only able to print with maximum timing resolution; thats currently only approx. 30 Clk Cycles per sheet. Additionaly. the names of the signals would appear only on sheet 1; on sheet 2-69, theres' just an index numbering on the left; no signal names. Any possibility to change this, e.g. a "print exactly what you see in the stp window to one sheet of paper"-function? 

Cheers 

WK
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately, there isn't a direct way to do this within the SignalTap window. What you can do as an alternative, is to save the captured data and export it out as either a Vector Waveform File (.vwf) or a graphic file (.jpg or a .bmp). (See http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53009.pdf (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53009.pdf) - page 54). If you've saved it as a graphic, you can use a graphics editor to crop the region of interest and print to fit to page. 

Alternatively, if you've saved it as a *.vwf, open the file with Quartus II. In the waveform editor, you can choose a specific zoom level clicking to View -> Zoom... -> Show range to scale to the samples of interest. From there, you can do a screen caputure of the waveform editor and crop out the waveform using a graphics editor.  

Best, 

FQ
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Moin, 

Thanks for the reply; meanwhile i did it as in your alternative solution: I detach the signal-tap window, maximize it, zoom the interesting part, do a screenshot(ctrl-printscreen) and print it with Microsoft Pain(t). Not really straight forward, but sufficient for low level documentation :) 

Cheers 

WK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Waht would be the best way to read and use this vector wave form file format ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus II has a waveform viewer. After you've saved off the file, just do a file -> open and search for the .vwf file. 

Also, something else you may find useful is the create list feature. Once you have your data captured, select the desired signal groups, right-click and select "create SignalTap II List File" This creates a table of all your selected signals in a text format.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

of course, but for documentation, it is necessary to import waveforms to documents. 

Currently, I am using TIFFs and screen shots.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately, even if you export to the waveform viewer you'll have to do screenshots. The advantage of using the waveform viewer is that you have a bit more control over the zoom level using the waveform viewer as compared with the SignalTap data tab.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have another wrinkle to add to this older thread. What about exporting the signal & trigger name set-ups. Anyone know if just that information can be exported then imported or brought forward to a new design? 

I do not want the data (which is what this thread covered), the old data served its purpose to help debug the design now the design has changed and been back through place & route. 

All of the signals & signal names connected to the STP module are the same but since I have an updated sof the older STP file causes the interface to want me to recompile. That wouldn't be a problem to do, I just do not want to re-enter all of the signals. Anyone know how to get around this? 

Thanks in advance, 

Br
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If the setup is the same, you should be able to use the same STP file that you used for the old design. Just do a "save-as" in the STP GUI with the project open. Quartus should automatically enable the .stp file for your design.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd like to export vector based files - possibly something like wmf

0 Kudos