Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Quartus Simulation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey, 

I did some simulation with QuartusII the problem is that everytime i press the compilation button it start also a synthesise process and it takes a long time until its end. while i want only a compilation. Is anyone know how can i do only compilation in quartus witouh other processes. 

I have only quartus and no other simulation tools. 

thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

If I understood it correctly, you only want to do analysis and synthesis, but you don't want to do fitting and rest of the stuff that starts off by clicking "Start compilation" button. Try clicking on "Processing (Menu) > Start > Start Analysis and Elaboration" or "Processing (Menu) > Start > Start Analysis and Synthesis" (probably what you need). You may have different navigation flow based on Quartus II version that you are using. But you can try "Start Analysis and Synthesis" option and get started. 

Cheers 

BD
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for your answer.. 

I want to do only syntax checking and to check that the source code I wrote is "legal" 

by the logic rules. 

like other simulation tools without the other processes. 

I think that "Processing (Menu) > Start > Start Analysis and Synthesis" 

will do also a synthesis ,I want only compilation , Is it possible? 

thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Im not sure how to do it out of the gui, you used to be able to do it with ctrl-k but i doubt that works any more since they changed things around so much. You could do it from the command line. If your project name is my_project.qpf, use this: 

quartus_map.exe --analysis_and_elaboration my_project
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I guess you could use "Processing (Menu) > Start > Start Analysis and Elaboration" if you want to use this for syntax checking and validation of code for logic rules. This should work and report errors.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I observe: The simulations with the internal Quartus Simulator take very much time to produce results in comparison to e.g. ModelSIM, even with small logical simulations. I did not figure this out, where there could be the reason. 

Anybody has an idea to speed up THIS ?:o
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you put some detail in term of what type of simulation that you run Quartus and ModelSim. Is it Quartus functional simulation vs. ModelSim behavior ? Or you're running ModelSim with netlist generated from Quartus ? 

Another reason that can slow down the simulator is glitches. 

Do you get any glitches detected warning from Quartus? If yes, you might want to turn on the glitch filtering option on. This is if you're running timing simulation (post fit simulation) 

Also to answer the previous question - if you just want to check your code syntax, then the elaboration option is the correct one. If you actually want to run functional simulation - basic netlist simulation without going through full compilation, then you should select the functional simulation option from Process|Tools dialog box. Then click on the generate functional netlist button. The generated netlist is an optimized netlist for simulation purpose.
0 Kudos