Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

MAX7000AE device not supported in Quartus II?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We have the picoMAX board from El Camino http://www.elcamino.de/products/prod%20dpicomaxe.html 

and it ships with a EPM7128AELC84-10 device (MAX 7000AE in an 84-pin PLCC package) Quartus II 7.1 does not seem to support this package. Is there a way to add support for this device, or do we have to use MAX+PLUS II? 

Thanks, 

Jason
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This usually means the part is going to be obsolete soon and it is not in the drop down list so new designs do not target it, but I would check with your sales rep or FAE to make sure on that. Or look for Product discontinuance notice on altera.com. For your quartus question try this ... 

Target a different 7128AE device for your project or design file, save the project. Open the .QSF file and change the device selection line to match your 7128AELC84. It should look like this after. Save file, try to compile. check report if it chose that part. 

set_global_assignment -name DEVICE "EPM7128AELC84-10"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know that many MAX7000 parts have been made obsolete in favor of the AE versions, but I don't see any discontinue notices for 7000AE: http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-pcn.jsp#pdn 

Interesting workaround, Joe D. I will try editing the .qsf file and let you know how it goes.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Joe D: It worked! I chose a device, compiled, then went back and edited the .qsf file to pick my LC84 device. When I open Assignments > Device, now it says Target Device is "Other: EPM7128AELC84-10" 

When I go to assign pins, it shows a picture of the LC84 device.  

Cool, thanks! 

Jason
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to Altera Tech Support: 

"The Quartus II software ver7.1 still supports the device EPM7128AELC84-10. But, for some reason, the device number is hidden in the Quartus II software.  

As you know, the workaround solution is editing the *.qsf file manually. Moreover the compilation and configuration on this device won’t be affected for its absence in the device list. Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Yva "
0 Kudos