Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

using constant

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi... 

Have a question (hope that not 2 stupid) 

I defind  

constant ram1 : std_logic_vector (2 downto 0) :="001"; -- only RAM1  

constant ram2 : std_logic_vector (2 downto 0) :="010"; -- only RAM2 

constant ram3 : std_logic_vector (2 downto 0) :="100"; -- only RAM3  

ram_indication= ram1 or ram2 or ram3.... (gets one of this) 

I run timing simulation with *.vho and *.sdo 

and got X00 X01 X11 ........ (instead of my values "001"...) 

Is there any attribute I didn't use? 

Its really not easy to cope with timing simulation... 

Thank you 

ari
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Before we gets into timing, you may want to verify its functionality. Does your design work in Functional Simulation? If yes, then we only can conclude it is a timing issues. Then later you set your timing contraint of your design and run Timing Analysis. If no timing violation occurs, then only try run Timing Simulation. If it fails, then we only start debugging from there. If timing contraints are set correctly, and functional simulation has been verified, and your stimulus are correct, most likely the Timing Simulation will pass unless your design contains a lot of asynchronous stuff.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I just asked about timing simulation... 

of course it works in functional simulation!!! 

I know all the theory you wrote and just asked about the constant values... 

ari
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This feels like a problem I had with Quartus changing my state machines. Without seeing more of your code, if this could be a cause, you could change the anal & synthesis setting for state machines to one hot. The Quartus manual says it encodes VHDL one-hot by default. I have in the past used code such as Quartus handbook volume 1 page 8-38, example 8-25, for applications like what yours looks like. And, the VHDL attribute keep may do the trick for you. 

If this is unrelated to a state machine, take a look at more of the surrounding code to see why Quartus would optimize the way it did.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Randall, 

thank you very much 

great answer!!!  

ari
0 Kudos