Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

bidirectional pin simulation for serial I2C

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have problems with bidirectinal pin simulation for serial comunication,  

problem is there that simulator didn't show writes to SDIO inout pin and also don;t show read from this pin  

I created test software wear I write some data to parallel-serial converter which sends serial data to SDIO pin and at the same time second logic-> serial to parallel converter reads data form SDIO line and show result, to show that parallel-serial logic work I inserted aditional output signal S_ouT were I can see that all is working, but on SDIO and SDIO~result are no signals. 

how to set up this inout signal ?? 

here is .vwf file 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=189  

and here is simulation result 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=188  

I also read previous topic where was about bidirectional IO simulation but there was no useful information, I also read quartus handbook about simulating bidir IO and did all I can, but no results. 

library IEEE; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL; entity SPI_test is port(clk,LD,Ren,OE : in std_logic; Data : in std_logic_vector( 7 downto 0); SCK : out std_logic; SDIO : inout std_logic; parallel_out : out std_logic_vector( 6 downto 0); T_enT,LD_T,S_ouT : out std_logic ); end SPI_test; architecture SPI_test_arhitektura of SPI_test is signal timer,tmp :STD_logic_vector (7 downto 0); signal Timer_parallel : std_logic_vector ( 2 downto 0); signal Rdone,Timer_start, Timer_end, T_en,t_end, sdio_out, sdio_in : std_logic; component serial_paralel is port(CLOCK_16,Ren, SDIO : in std_logic; parallel_out : out std_logic_vector( 6 downto 0)); end component; begin process(clk) begin if rising_edge(clk) then if LD ='1' then tmp <=data;T_en<='1'; else tmp(7 downto 1)<= tmp(6 downto 0); end if; end if; end process; Sdio_out<=tmp(7); -- serialsignal that gows to bidir IO S_ouT<=tmp(7); -- Test signal for serial output --Altera code for Bidir IO setup PROCESS (oe, SDIO) -- Behavioral representation BEGIN -- of tri-states. IF( oe = '0') THEN SDIO <='Z'; sdio_in <= SDIO; ELSE SDIO <= sdio_out; sdio_in <= SDIO; END IF; END PROCESS; -- serial-parallel logic code block initialization Serial_in : serial_paralel port map(CLOCK_16=> clk,Ren=>Ren,SDIO=>SDIO_in,parallel_out=>parallel_out); end SPI_test_arhitektura;
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just tested this bidir pin code on my cyclone II dev.kit and it looks like bidirectional IO works, but simulator still don't work.  

I think I will use for testing separate single output pin that will show oputput signal.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Epis, 

IMO problem is that VHDL simulator can't handle the 'Z' state. In real world , I assume that your SDIO pin is pullup'ed. There is a way to simulate this behavoiur in VHDL, you should use 'H' state (instead of 'Z') , which stand for 'Weak one' . The VHDL resolution function will then , for example, handle the case where an external '0' is applied on your SDIO 'H' state : in this case, the result would be '0'. 

More help here : http://www.csee.umbc.edu/help/vhdl/misc.html 

I used this to simulate an I2C bus transaction (SDA and SCL are also bidir lines), it works nice, at least using Modelsim simulator. 

Warm regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For me it is strange, that you perform read and write to SDIO at the same time. I was using bidirectional pins. VHDL description looks like this: 

IO <= output when OE = '1' else (others => 'Z'); 

Controlling the OE signal you can change the direction of IO pin/bus. As for simulation, you can observe data out , but reading from IO is practically impossible.
0 Kudos