Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16599 Discussions

Linux RHEL5 USB Blaster Installation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Even though Quartus-II 7.2 does NOT officially support Linux RHEL5, has anyone been successful installing (and using) the USB Blaster? 

The REH3/4 installation doesn't seem to be applicable. 

Thanks in advance. 

:)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just don't do it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i run centos 5, with the usb blaster. 

not difficult, the only real issue is that it doesn't use hotplug. 

udev rule is attached, as are my init script and /etc/jtagd directory. please note that the init script has a hard coded path to my quartus install, you need to change it. 

copy the jtagd init script to /etc/init.d 

copy the jtagd directory to /etc 

edit the jtagd initscript to correct the paths /etc/init.d/jtagd 

as root, run chkconfig --add jtagd 

as root type service jtagd start 

now, as a user, plug in the usbblaster, and type jtagconfig, it should list the jtag devices attached. 

--dalon 

Please note this is out of date.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had to add "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/altera/quartus7.1/libraries" and still I get  

1) USB_Blaster [USB 1-1.1]  

Unable to lock chain (Insufficient port permissions)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

make sure you kill all user created instances of jtagd, and then run the service as root. 

Also, 

make sure your udev rule looks like this. 

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="USB-Blaster", SYMLINK+="usbblaster", MODE="0666" 

--dalon
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm having the same issue. You didn't specify what to do with the udev rule, from the looks of things, so maybe there's a more complicated step than just copying the rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d? Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a huge subversion checkout, so I can't restart my system to see if the shotgun approach of restarting all the services would work. 

Thanks, though, for actually putting some informaition on this. So much more helpful than, "Don't waste your time," and, "Oh, just undo the last 2 days of work getting your system up and running and spend another 2 days using an older OS."
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

you can probably just restart udev, but the other important thing is (i have found) creating an init script to start the jtagserver. i have attached a tgz with the rules i use in my fc8 install, and previous RHEL5 install. 

you should see a device called /dev/usbblaster. note that this doesn't support multiple usbblaster, i just didn't bother. 

--dalon
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi dalon, 

I did USB-Blaster installation in CentOS5.2 using the method you described. It worked well. Thanx. 

@ErikZane and Vista: I had same issues as yours after I copied all the files given by dalon. I did "sudo killall jtagd" and then restarted udev. That solved the problem. 

Sincerely, 

Kumar Vijay Mishra.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot for all your help. I wish Altera people were linux savvy. I will try to put all my pains into a book and publish it. 

Just one change I had to do to get my setup working after I put stuff from redhat_usbblaster.tar.gz i modified the /etc/init.d/jtagd (changed path to jtagd) 

JTAGD=/opt/altera9.1/quartus/bin/jtagd 

since I am running 9.1
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, i can't get this to work. 

[aprado@localhost bin]$ jtagconfig 

Connecting to server(s) [. ] 

Error (Server error) when scanning hardware  

this is my message, thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anyone =( This is kinda urgent

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don think you need to use the jtagconfig command. All you need to do is install the config file and point the jtag binary to it. As long as you follow the instructions above, you should be good. 

Can you send details of what you are doing, what distribution, and step by step account of how you are getting to the error?.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

jtagconfig is a useful command for testing that you have everything set up correctly so I would certainly do that at the end (and be worried if it does not work). 

The official instructions are on http://www.altera.com/download/drivers/dri-usb_b-lnx.html - these should work if you are only using the USB-Blaster cable from the machine it is plugged in to.
0 Kudos