Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

EPCS Replacement by Spansion SPI Flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been trough the EPCS datasheet and compared the EPCS devices with other devices from different manufactures. 

For me it seems that 

EPCS4 = Spansion S25FL040A0LVFI00 

EPCS64 = Spansion S25FL016A0LMFI00 

both Spansion devices delifer the same ID as the EPCS does (as datasheet says) 

can anybody else confirm that i can replace the epcs4 and epcs16 devices by the above spansion devices ? 

Especially the S25FL016A0LNFI00 is in my focus. It seems to be an EPCS64 but not the SO-16 wide footprint as EPCS64 with 10.3 x 7.5mm. Instead it has an WSON footprint with 6 x 8 mm and i have a very high dense pcb.  

BTW : The S25FL016A0LMFI00 is about 1,50 € per 1 pice and seems to be much cheaper than the EPCS64 

So has anybody sucessfully used the spansion devices ? Or is there anything i should take care about ? EPCS Update via USB Blaster, EPC Controller used by SOPC builder .... 

Thanks in advance 

Michael
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Although I can not confirm your specific Spansion part numbers, I can confirm this is possible.  

We have designs that are using the ST M25P40-VMN6TP instead of the EPCS4 and have identified the ST M25P16-VMF6P instead of the EPCS16.  

The Device ID is critical point. And the cost savings is significant. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you provide any more update on this effort? 

Have any of you used the Spansion 128 Mb parts?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. 

We tried with Spansion 128Mb and was OK. 

(Quartus 8.0)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I use Quartus Programmer to download using JIC file to Spansion 128Mb occurs OK. 

But When I'm usingNIOS II IDE and use flash programmer, it fails. Flash Programmer didn't recognize memory. 

So, I think same corrections done in Quartus Programmer and Convert Files can be applied to flash Programmer. 

Best Regards, 

Veiga. 

(Quartus 8.0)
0 Kudos