Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16559 Discussions

Error (176310): Can't place multiple pins - JTAG Sharing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I followed all the rules in https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_config.pdf 

• Check the Enable JTAG pin sharing. 

• Uncheck the Enable nCONFIG, nSTATUS, and CONF_DONE pins. 

to enable JTAG pin sharing. But when I try to actually use them, say, PIN_16(TMS) I get  

Error (176310): Can't place multiple pins assigned to pin location Pin_16 (IOPAD_X10_Y17_N14) 

Info (176311): Pin J1_5 is assigned to pin location Pin_16 (IOPAD_X10_Y17_N14) 

Info (176311): Pin altera_reserved_tms is assigned to pin location Pin_16 (IOPAD_X10_Y17_N14) 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

~sysTom
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Additional info: The config scheme is "Internal Configuration" and the "Dual-purpose Pins" tab is empty.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is a MAX10 project - right? 

Refer to chapter 3 - "Dual-Purpose Configuration Pins" of the "max 10 fpga configuration user guide (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_config.pdf)". This discusses use of the JTAG pins in user mode. You won't end up specifying the JTAG pins in the constraints file as you're trying. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply Alex, but this is actually duplicate information from the Configuration Guide and I did not specify any JTAG pins before anyway. I removed a couple SDCs but no joy. I notice in the pin planner that the JTAG and my mission-mode IO are both present and mine are assigned to the actual physical pins. Tried deleting the JTAG - no joy.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found the problem - it won't allow dual-use whilst signalTap is enabled.