Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

DSPbuilder 7.2 and Matlab 2007b

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi folks, 

I am running Quartus 7.2, Megacore Library 7.2 and DSP Builder 7.2. Matlab is 2007b. 

I'm trying to walk through the "singen" example. Everything works fine unitl I try to generate HDL. The model simulates in simulink and I get the expected waveforms. But when I bring up the DSP Builder dialog and hit "compile" I get: 

Info: Generating HDL 

Info: Analyzing Simulink model 

Info: Analysis was successful 

Info: ******************************************************************* 

Info: Running Quartus II Analysis & Synthesis 

Info: Version 7.2 Build 151 09/26/2007 SJ Full Version 

... BLAH BLAH BLAH ... 

Info: Processing started: Thu Nov 29 18:29:25 2007 

Info: Command: quartus_map singen 

Error: IP Generator Error: Entity 'alt_dspbuilder_clock' (Version latest) not found in librarian. 

Info: Found 1 design units, including 1 entities, in source file ../singen.mdl 

Info: Found entity 1: singen_Interface 

Error: Top-level design entity "singen" is undefined 

Error: Quartus II Analysis & Synthesis was unsuccessful. 2 errors, 0 warnings 

Info: Allocated 802 megabytes of memory during processing 

Error: Processing ended: Thu Nov 29 18:29:29 2007 

Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:04 

Error: Error during compilation: Synthesis failed 

So what gives? Is this due to Matlab R2007b? The DSP Builder manual only shows up to R2007a for compatibility. I'd hate to go back to R2007a just for this. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To answer my own question: 

It is Matlab R2007b. When I rolled back to R2007a, everything works fine. 

Soo, if any Altera people are around, any plans for a fix?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My Altera Sources tell me that to call it a fix is not quite right. 

Nothing is Broken, you just are using a version fo the MatLab tools that are not supported yet. 

File an SR with Altera and asks them when R2007b will be supported and let us all know what the answer is. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've rolled back to 2007a and I'm still getting the error. 

Any ideas? 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I had the same problem. It looks like there is some leftover stuff, somewhere (dll, registry?) and rolling back doesn't fix it. 

In my case, I had to reinstall the OS :mad: and then do a clean install of matlab (2007a) and altera. 

PITA but it worked. 

Good luck!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That would be a MAJOR PITA; I have WAY to much stuff on this machine to think about that one. AAARRRGGG 

Did you ever hear anything from Altera as to when they will support 2007b? 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a feeling your ip cache directory has become corrupt. 

In your windows user directory (should be something like C:\Documents and Settings\<username>), you should have a directory called .altera.quartus, which in turn contains a directory called ip_cache. Try deleting this cache directory and retrying with 2007a.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That did it!!! 

Thanks 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

the same problem appears by walk through the "singen" example with: 

Quartus 8.0, DSP Builder 8.0 and Matlab R2008a 

Deleting the ip_cache directory has fixed the problem! 

Thanks, BerndS
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have the same problem with Quartus 8.0 SP1, DSPBuilder 8.0 SP1 and Matlab 2007b. But in my case deleting the "ip_cache" directory doesn't help. 

I'm already in contact with Altera Support. Hopfully they can help me to find the reason for my problem. 

If there is a solution I will let you know. 

Best Regards, 

schmalisch
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just experienced the same error message after doing a fresh install of all the tools and trying to synthesize one of my designs.  

Like BerndS, I can confirm that deleting the ip_cache solves the problem, at least for the "Quartus 8.0, DSP Builder 8.0 and Matlab R2008a" setup. 

Maybe the install was not as clean as I thought.. I think at least Quartus was installed while logged in with a different user name than I am using now. 

In any case, thanks to dabuk for solving this issue. 

Regards, 

Nico.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

In the meantime I could solve the problem on my PC with help from Altera support. 

The ".altera.quartus" directory with the including "ip_cache" folder is not only located in "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>" but also in "%HOME%\" when the HOME environment variable is set. This was the case on my computer then I'm using Cygwin which is also used by Quartus internally. So there are two possible locations for the "ip_cache" folder which you need to check to be sure that there are no files left from other versions. 

Best Regards, 

schmalisch
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, I'm working with Vista sp1, matlab r2007b, Quartus 8.0 sp1 DSPbuilder 8.1 the problem has been fixed by deleting ip_cache directory. 

Thanks a lot for this great trick!!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've quartus 8.0 w/ Matlab 2008b. the same problem occured and fixed by removing the ip_cache directory. 

thank dabuk (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/member.php?u=2390)
0 Kudos