FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

MAX II Dev. kit programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I enconter a strage phenomena: when I try to program the EPM1270F256CS5 I imediatly get an error: "Error: Operation failed" (the progarming is not started at all). This accures with every file I try even with the simplest design (direct connection from an input to an output). Moreover, I even can't erase the chip. 

I have tried with Quartus 6.1 and 7.2. 

However, if I use a blank file name (by auto detect), I am able to erase. Also, I have no problem of programming with the original pof files. 

Obviously, the progarmer is fine and I have some flaw in the file but I can't figure it out - everything during the compilation works fine. 

Probably will turn out as a stupid mistake. 

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I think, you are not reporting the complete error message. Normally, Quartus programmer tells why operation has failed, e. g. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error: Can't access JTAG chain 

Error: Operation failed 

--- Quote End ---  

or  

--- Quote Start ---  

Error: JTAG Server can't access selected programming hardware 

--- Quote End ---  

The complete message could be helpful to understand the error. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Frank, 

Ye, that is what I had expected but in my case it does not report anything. 

Following is the report: 

Info: Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x020A30DD 

Info: Device 1 silicon ID is ALTERA04-0 

Info: Ended Programmer operation at Wed Feb 06 07:57:32 2008 

Please note that I am able to program or erase if I use the original pof files supplied by Altera. 

It looks to me that the programmer see some error in the project or file and does not atempt to program at all. 

Thanx 

Ran
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Ran, 

I don't remember to have ever seen a similar behaviour. You should contact Altera support unless other forum members would know a solution, it may be a Quartus bug (at least not giving a meaningful error report must be regarded as such). 

You say, that even minimal designs couldn't be downloaded. Did you try also with a new project, using default settings except for the device? 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Frank, 

Yes, I did try few times. 

If it is not too much to ask, enclosed is my project. If you could please compile and send the pof file. I will then try to program. 

Regards 

Ran
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Ran, 

I compiled your minimal design and also was able to download it to an EPM1270. I wonder, however why your device shows ALTERA04-0 Silicon ID while I have ALTERA04-1. I read about an issue with engineering samples that couldn't be programmed from retail version programming files. Does your device have an ES extension stamp? If this is the case, a special project setting could be necessary, but I don't know where. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I too am having the problem described. The .pof file does not program on my device, which has the ID ALTERA04-0 as well. My device does have the ES extension stamp. Can you link to where you were reading about engineering samples? 

Thanks, 

Kevin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Replying to myself, 

I read in the MAX II device family erratta: 

Device Programming Object File Compatibility 

The POF generated for EPM1270 ES devices is compatible with EPM1270 ES and EPM1270 production devices. Recompilation and regeneration of POFs is not required when moving from EPM1270 ES to EPM1270 production devices. However, POFs generated for EPM1270 production devices do not support ES devices. Therefore, if you are using an EPM1270 ES device, you must be sure to use a POF generated for the EPM1270 ES device in the Quartus II software. 

I notice that the programmer tool does not detect (nor can I select) the "ES" device. Therefore, it appears that the .pof file is being created for the production device and hence I cannot program my "ES" device.  

Stuck are we? 

-kevin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

there must be an option to select ES device in Quartus device selection, but I yet didn't see it. If I understand right, Altera has shipped the ES devices with eval kit, thus support should be able to tell you how to create the programming files. Fortunately, I have no need to program ES parts, but I guess, there is an option. At worst case, it could be that the option doesn't exist in all Quartus versions. 

Regards, 

Frank 

P.S.: For Stratix II, where a similar problem is said to exist, Quartus device selection offers separate entries for ES-devices. This option is missing for MAX II.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Frank/guys, 

Problem solved ! :)  

Yes, the kit is from 2004 and the part has an "ES" extension. As you have said, it's programming file is not compatible with the standard production chips (there is an erata document at Altera site). 

The problem is that all new Quartus version do not support the "ES" chip ! 

I had to install Quartus 4.1 (the disk came with the kit) - there you can select the "ES" version. 

After that I could program the kit. 

Thanks frank, you were very helpfull. 

Ran
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is another solution for programming ES devices that allows you to use the latest version of Quartus (7.2). 

Go to the project directory, and open the .qsf file. Make the modification as shown below: 

set_global_assignment -name DEVICE EPM1270F256C5 

to 

set_global_assignment -name DEVICE EPM1270F256C5ES 

Then, save the .qsf file and compile the project as usual and finally program the “ES” device with the new generated .pof file. 

You may not be using the 1270 device, but the main point is that you need to append "ES" the the device name.  

-Kevin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, that works too. 

Thanks 

-Ran
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

There is another solution for programming ES devices that allows you to use the latest version of Quartus (7.2). 

Go to the project directory, and open the .qsf file. Make the modification as shown below: 

set_global_assignment -name DEVICE EPM1270F256C5 

to 

Then, save the .qsf file and compile the project as usual and finally program the “ES” device with the new generated .pof file. 

You may not be using the 1270 device, but the main point is that you need to append "ES" the the device name.  

-Kevin 

--- Quote End ---  

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to resurrect it and say how much I appreciated this tip.. I'm using an old StratixII eval board for a real quick demonstration and had the same problems of getting the MaxII-ES chip on the eval board programmed... I already have Quartus 6.1 and 7.2 on my machine and wasn't looking forward to installing yet another version (from an earlier suggestion) .. this tip however to modify the .qsf file was a nice, easy, clean, simple way to get things moving forward... 

Thanks wahilakn! 

..dane
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I faced a similar problem with the same Max II 1270 dev kit with ES device. I followed wahilakn's comment and modified the .qsf file by adding "ES" 

but I was getting another error, this time from the Fitter(Place and Route): 

Error: The supply voltage value 3.3V applied to the 'VCCINT' power rail is illegal for the currently selected device.  

which was not a hardware issue, since the device is rated for both 2.5V and 3.3V by jumper J9 setting. 

So I had to comment out this line: 

# set_global_assignment -name POWER_EXT_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_TO_REGULATOR 3.3V  

I am able to program the device after this modification.
0 Kudos