Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

USB Blaster driver conflict with other FTDI kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using a USB blaster (Terasic) and on the same system I need to use two Asix Presto programmers that use the same FTDI device and (apparently) drivers.  

The Presto devices load up and work perfectly, but the (previously working) Blaster shows a yellow icon in Device Manager and Quartus 7.1 can't find it.  

Without the Prestos, the Blaster is happy. But I need all of them.  

I have heard that this is connected with the way that Altera configures the drivers, and have heard talk of a patch, but have no details.  

I would welcome any advice so I can get the devices to coexist.  

Thanks 

Malcolm
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem with a USB to Serial controller with a FTDI chip! 

(I'm using Vista x64) 

I can use one or the other, but not both. AUGHHH!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

for windows xp there is a quite simple solution (I don't know for vista). 

- In the quartus/drivers/usb-blaster/x32 (or x64) directory, rename the ftdibus.sys to something else (ftdibus1.sys), change all references to ftdibus.sys in the usbblst.inf file to the new file name. 

- uninstall the driver (device manager...) 

- uninstall all usb-serial adaptors ( although I don't know is this is ncry) 

- plug out the usb blaster 

- plug in the usb blaster 

- reinstall the driver  

- reinstall the serial port adaptors 

Good luck 

Stefaan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes! 

It works even with Vista x64! 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah! Great!!! 

I've been fighting for a while against the same problem before finding this thread... 

It works fine. 

Many thanks svhb 

jyl
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Really appreciated the post Stefaan as I am looking at it 5 years later, we are at Quartus 13.0 today and this still happens. The driver .sys name is now different (usbblstr.sys) but problem persists, I think it has to do with FTDI driver wants to occupy USB-0, so when USB-Blaster (or II) become USB-1, the conflict is no longer there.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

three years later, it seems to me that the "other FTDI devices" problem even gets worse with 64-Bit Windows. I was frequently using FTDI USB-to-RS232 bridges simultaneously with USB Blaster under 32-Bit WinXP. Now with 64-Bit Windows 7, it seems to be impossible at all.  

Plugging-in the FTDI cable shifts the USB-x assignment, as mentioned by jenglee, same thing happened under WinXP. But once the FTDI virtual COM port is opened in an application. the USB Blaster no longer shows up in Quartus hardware selection, which is a new Window 7 or 64-Bit problem. There's no difference if I use a 64-Bit or 32-Bit Quartus version. 

The issue might be brought up by changed FTDI drivers rather than Altera specific programming, but it's quite annoying.  

Did anyone fix the problem? 

Best regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just upgraded to Quartus 16.1 and now I have this problem. 

Without the FTDI cable plugged in USB-Blaster is at port USB-0, and I can program my device through JTAG. 

With the FTDI cable plugged in the USB-Blaster changes to USB-1, and I can still program my device through JTAG. 

With the FTDI cable plugged in as USB-1 and PuTTY open, then I cannot program my device through JTAG - the Quartus programmer reports "No Hardware". Closing the PuTTY window allows the programmer to work again.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found I have to close the terminal program that is using the "other" FTDI device and can't start it again until the USB Blaster is active (e.g. DS-5 debugger is connected or programmer is programming), then both will run fine until Blaster is inactive. 

Tedious but is works. 

Regards, 

Kevin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for confirming the issue. I'm not sure yet if generally occurs with recent Windows versions and newer USB Blaster drivers, or only under particular circumstances.  

--- Quote Start ---  

I found I have to close the terminal program that is using the "other" FTDI device and can't start it again until the USB Blaster is active (e.g. DS-5 debugger is connected or programmer is programming), then both will run fine until Blaster is inactive. 

Tedious but is works. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, I believe that has worked for me too. Considering that the USB Blaster reconnects in various situations (e.g. always after reconfiguring the FPGA, starting a different JTAG debug tool) the method is more a last resort than a solution. 

Still hope there's an actual solution other than switching to USB Blaster 2 or possibly a Cypress based USB Blaster clone. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am also getting the same issue with Quartus 16.1, Windows 7 x64.  

The workaround described by ep1015 and kflynn works, but is a bit tedious.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could anyone solve this issue? 

I am facing it too and could not find a solution.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got a USB Blaster II and now no problem. Expensive fix for what should be easily fixable. Maybe it's to allow Altera/Intel to sell more blasters.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

USB Blaster 2 is really more expensive. Why do they do that?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Because they can? 

Seriously, it's not like the original doesn't work there's just an annoying caveat to its use. 

There is a FAQ on the FTDI website that mentions something similar and gives a solution but that is for the person implementing the application. 

But it would be nice if Altera would respond with at least an explanation! I doesn't seem anybody from Altera read is reading this. 

So get a usb blaster II or be aware of what FTDI device you need to use at the same time as the blaster I.
0 Kudos
AGuan
Beginner

Ten years already... This combination works for me:

The Blaster driver is the one from Quartus II 14.1, which is v2.4.16, released on 4/21/2009.

And the USB Serial Converter driver is: 2.12.28.0, released on 8/16/2017.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
NJuser
Novice

Has anyone tried to run Signaltap (over the Byte blaster) while being connected to the FTDI device? I am trying to provide a command over the USB Serial COM port (Tera Term), and wish to see the response of the FPGA through Signaltap. But as discussed in this thread, I can either use the Tera Term or the Byte Blaster. I am using the Rev C Byte Blaster (which I think is the latest).

Thanks

0 Kudos
VStrakh
Novice

Having this issue with Quartus 18.1, Windows 10 x64.

Initially USB Blaster is reported as USB-0, adding some FTDI cable forces USB Blaster jump to USB-1, and then its functionality depends on the FTDI device activity - if something is connected to FTDI, then USB Blaster is not found by all the tools (Quartus Programmer, jtagconfig.exe, nios2-terminal.exe, etc).

I tried to play with the order of devices connection after reboot, nothing helped. But then I stumbled upon a sort-of "solution".

jtagconfig.exe has an option to add the programming cable explicitly. That option normally doesn't apply to automatically found usb cables, but this time it worked, maybe because the cable wasn't detected in normal way.

So I did "jtagconfig.exe --add USB-Blaster USB-1" while the FTDI device was connected, and now the cable is found again. Both devices working simultaneously.

The downside is that after FTDI device is removed, you will have two cables - automatically found USB-0 and manually added USB-1, so sometimes you'll have to explicitly select the cable for tools like nios2-terminal. And the "fix" doesn't live across the reboot.

tlavt
Beginner

Having the same issue with Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit. As long as I have a FTDI based USB to serial converter plugged in and opened in a terminal, Quartus doesn't list the USB Blaster as a selectable hardware. If I plug out the USB to serial converter, the USB Blaster works fine.

• Drivers for both devices installed fine without any exclamation mark or error message
  • USB to serial chip is FT2232C/D/H Dual UART/FIFO IC; Driver is ftser2k.sys, V2.12.28.0
  • Terasic blaster has FT245BL chip; Driver is usbblstr.sys, V2.12.00.2 as contained in Quartus 16.1 and Quartus 18.1

I see this thread was opened 11 years ago, any chance that there will ever be a solution?

Regards

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

I now have the same problem. I have been using Quartus 14 without problem for quite some time. This morning I upgraded to 20.x and now I have the same problem.

I have to shut Putty down in order to download to my FPGA. What a pain.

Looks like I'm going to need a second PC to run Putty..

0 Kudos
avib
New Contributor I

I'm also having the same problem of not being able to use the USB to serial together with the USB Blaster.

There is a way to workaround Programming by disconnecting the USB to serial and re-attaching it after the programming was completed, but there is no way to use SignalTap since I need the serial port connected during the debugging...

I've tried many Quartus driver versions, and the latest USB to serial driver, but it still doesn't work.