Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Clock skews, enables and timing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can someone help me? 

I am new to this and have been learning from scratch to program FPGAS and windows at the same time whilst building hardware. 

I have written some code for a data capture system which works mostly but has timing errors. 

When I look at the compile window it gives me errors such as gated clocks causing skew plus timing for slow model unable to be met plus clock signal reg bit 0 used as biffer plus a few others. 

I am not sure how to go about sourcing the problems and fixing and its taken me every minute I have for 4 months to get where I have got. 

Im on a tight time scale as I want to use this project on holiday in a couple of months and have a lot to do. This is the only bit Im utterly stuck on. 

Someone mentioned on here that I need to use chip enable clocks to sort out the gated clock issue but I do not know how to do this? 

could someone give me some pointers in verilog? Also if I post the errors could we explain what they mean? 

As I said the program works it just shifts the data back and forward in timing instead of capturing it all at the same time as I would expect. 

Its not a very big program so cant be much wrong allthough it is messy for a first verilog programming attempt. 

Yours hopefully 

Robin Burrows
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can someone help me? 

Someone mentioned on here that I need to use chip enable clocks to sort out the gated clock issue but I do not know how to do this? 

--- Quote End ---  

instead of passing a clock through a gate i.e. AND'd with some other signal you want to gate the clock with, feed the clock as normal into the clk inputs of the register(s) which follow i.e. are currently fed by your gated clock and then feed the gate signal into the clock enable (clken) input of the very same registers.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My code is below. It tells me that: 

Warning: Found 2 node(s) in clock paths which may be acting as ripple and/or gated clocks -- node(s) analyzed as buffer(s) resulting in clock skew 

Info: Detected ripple clock "TriggerFish~reg0" as buffer 

Info: Detected ripple clock "samplefreq~reg0" as buffer 

Im still trying to understand the issues but understand better thanks 

// Set fish trigger settings 

assign Reset = !ResetA; 

assign LED = TriggerFish; 

// Set fish trigger settings 

always @(posedge clk or posedge Reset) 

begin 

if (Reset) begin 

triggerCnt <= 0; 

end 

else if (!Reset) begin 

if (resetTriggerCnt) begin 

triggerCnt <= 0; 

end 

else begin 

triggerCnt <= triggerCnt + 1; 

end 

end 

end 

begin 

if (Reset) begin 

TriggerFish <= 0; 

end 

else if (triggerCnt == 23500000) begin // Trigger fish space duration  

TriggerFish <= 1; 

end  

else if (resetTriggerCnt) begin 

TriggerFish <= 0; 

end 

end 

begin 

if (Reset) begin 

resetTriggerCnt <= 0; 

end 

else if (triggerCnt == 24000000) begin // Trigger fish space duration 

resetTriggerCnt <= 1; 

end  

else begin 

resetTriggerCnt <= 0; 

end 

end 

// new code added 07/03/08------------- 

always@(posedge clk) 

begin 

if(Reset) 

begin 

samplefreqcount=0; 

samplefreq=0; 

end 

else 

if(samplefreqcount==363)// Here we put half of 

//available clk 

begin 

samplefreq=~samplefreq; 

samplefreqcount=0; 

end 

else 

samplefreqcount = samplefreqcount + 1; 

end
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have any special reason to use blocking assignment for "samplefreq" and "samplefreqcount"? 

# samplefreq=~samplefreq; 

# samplefreqcount=0; 

instead of 

# samplefreq<=~samplefreq; 

# samplefreqcount<=0;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Im not sure what block assignments mean I just had a go at writing this to learn. There is alot more but I havent posted it yet. 

Can someone explain the block thing and also if there are any problems with this bit of the code. 

Regards 

Robin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

With the second thought I find the blocking assignments are no harm with synthesis, but it may cause simulation issue. So I recommend you to use "<=" instead of "=" in the always.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When I look at the compile window it gives me errors such as gated clocks causing skew... 

could someone give me some pointers in verilog? 

--- Quote End ---  

See http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2388. That thread goes into detail about design recommendations for gated clocks. One of the posts talks about clock enables and has a reference to the Quartus text editor templates showing the proper way to code for clock enables.
0 Kudos