Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Compile for Nios (not NiosII)?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there anyway to compile code for a Nios embedded processor using the latest Quartus tools? 

If not, is there a source for the old software?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If no one answers your question here, try http://www.niosforum.com or file a service request. 

If it turns out you do have to go back to old tools, you can get old versions of Quartus and Nios II development software from ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/release. I see only a couple of things there labeled as Nios rather than Nios II, but maybe early versions of Nios II development software had support for Nios. 

Make sure the version of Nios or Nios II development software is paired with the correct version of Quartus. A long time ago the version numbers weren't synchronized between Quartus and other tools, so version n of Quartus might not go with the same version n of the Nios/Nios II software.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did try both of those options.  

I got a response to the service request that pointed me towards this: 

http://www.altera.com/support/ip/processors/nios2/er/legacy/ips-niosii-legacy-er-intro.html 

But, in reading it, it seems to be discussing how to support Nios software on a NiosII core. That won't help me since I can't upgrade the hardware to NiosII. I just need to make some small changes to the software. 

I will see if there is anything useful in the ftp site. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I did : 

- set up a virtual machine (VMWare) with an old quartus version and nios development software 

- run the old nios sopc builder system 

- generate the project 

- copy the generated verilog files back to the normal operating system 

- use these in a recent quartus project 

- compile, configure, test sw... 

Of course if you don't feel the need of a newer quartus release, you can do everythin in the older version. I needed it for the timequest timing analyses that pointed me in the correct direction for a nasty timing problem (and the solution). 

Stefaan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the pointers, but I don't need to generate verilog files. I only need to recompile c code for use on an existing Nios based design. I need to generate a .flash file.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough... 

Look to your inbox for a pointer...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

0 Kudos