Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

DDR (Source Synchronous O/P) Interface - unconstrained clock?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've been working on a DDR interface between two cards across a backplane and followed the advice offerred by Altera AN33. I have constrained my outputs relative to the output clock (from a PLL). TimeQuest is happly with the timing and it seems to do what I want, but it reports the output clock as unconstrained. Should I apply a constraint or exception to this? I don't think it is absolutely necessary because the output data is constrained wrt to the output clock but I would like to clear the unconstrained path message for completeness. 

Regards, 

Dave. 

My SDC is as follows: 

create_clock -period 40.000 -name CLK_25 CLK_25 

create_clock -period 10.000 -name VIRTUAL_RX_SOURCE_CLK 

create_clock -period 10.000 -name RX_CLK -waveform {3.125 8.125} LVDS_RXC_LINK0_ 

derive_pll_clocks 

create_generated_clock -name TX_CLK -source {inst2|altpll_component|auto_generated|clk[3]} {LVDS_TXC_LINK0_} 

set_clock_groups  

-exclusive  

-group  

{  

CLK_25  

}  

-group  

{  

inst2|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[0]  

inst2|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[3]  

TX_CLK  

}  

-group  

{  

inst2|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1]  

}  

-group  

{  

RX_CLK  

# DDR Output timing 

set_output_delay -clock {TX_CLK} -max 1.51 [get_ports LVDS_TXD*] 

set_output_delay -clock {TX_CLK} -max 1.52 [get_ports LVDS_TXD*] -add_delay -clock_fall  

set_output_delay -clock {TX_CLK} -min -1.53 [get_ports LVDS_TXD*] -add_delay 

set_output_delay -clock {TX_CLK} -min -1.54 [get_ports LVDS_TXD*] -add_delay -clock_fall  

set_output_delay -clock {TX_CLK} -max 1.55 [get_ports LVDS_TXE*] 

set_output_delay -clock {TX_CLK} -max 1.56 [get_ports LVDS_TXE*] -add_delay -clock_fall  

set_output_delay -clock {TX_CLK} -min -1.57 [get_ports LVDS_TXE*] -add_delay 

set_output_delay -clock {TX_CLK} -min -1.58 [get_ports LVDS_TXE*] -add_delay -clock_fall  

set_false_path -setup -rise_from {inst2|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[0]} -fall_to {TX_CLK} 

set_false_path -setup -fall_from {inst2|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[0]} -rise_to {TX_CLK} 

set_false_path -hold -rise_from {inst2|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[0]} -rise_to {TX_CLK} 

set_false_path -hold -fall_from {inst2|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[0]} -fall_to {TX_CLK}
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good job setting this up. Source synchronous double-data rate is not trivial to do. As for the output clock being "unconstrained", that is correct and only because you're not constraining it "as data". Personally I've never seen anyone do this, and have just lived with the error. You could probably put a set_max_delay 20.0, set_min_delay 0.0, and that would constrain it and should make the error go away, but my feeling is that it's an extra constraint that doesn't really reflect any requirements in your system.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, that's reassuring. Thanks for your comments. 

Regards, 

Dave.
0 Kudos