Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

clk & i/o assignment on FPGA Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am testing my chip design using Apex Nios 2 board. However, my design was not done based on it. Hence, I would like to know: 

1. How to connect an external clock input (from crystal) to a FPGA Board 

2. How to connect i/o signals with FPGA Board 

I planned to utilize the 3.3V Expansion Prototype Connector. Is this the correct way? Is there any document that describe such "non-standard" usage of the i/o pins for Apex Nios 2? 

This is the 1st time I using a FPGA Board, sorry if I can't describe the problem well.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am testing my chip design using Apex Nios 2 board. However, my design was not done based on it. Hence, I would like to know: 

1. How to connect an external clock input (from crystal) to a FPGA Board 

2. How to connect i/o signals with FPGA Board 

I planned to utilize the 3.3V Expansion Prototype Connector. Is this the correct way? Is there any document that describe such "non-standard" usage of the i/o pins for Apex Nios 2? 

This is the 1st time I using a FPGA Board, sorry if I can't describe the problem well. 

--- Quote End ---  

It appears that you want to communicate with your board with signals originating from outside the board. Can you write what kind of I/O interfaces your board has? For example, if it has interfaces like RS-422, then you can route your signals including the clock through this interface.
0 Kudos