Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Using FPP mode in Quartus II for Cyclone IV devices

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am taking over an old project at work using a Cyclone IV device (EP4CGX150F23C7N). I can get it to compile just fine which makes and .sof file. We need to convert it to a .pof file since we are using a flash loader with a MAX II bootloader.  

I am using Quartus II version 15.0 software. 

Out internal documentation of this process says we should use the Fast Passive Parallel x8 (FPP) mode to program the device. 

When I run the File->Convert Programming Files and select my configuration device (CFI_128Mb) the FPP modes do not show up in the Modes drop down box. I have tried some of the other parallel modes that do show up (passive parallel, active parallel) and it will not generate a .pof file, just says that these modes are not supported. The only mode I can actually get to work and make a .pof file is 1-bit Passive Serial, but the file is no good - when I load it on my device it does not boot properly.  

I have searched the forums, wikis, and altera website and the only things I have found point to the settings in Assignments->Device->Device and Pin Options on the Configuration Tab. However all of this seems correct in my project - it points to FPP as the mode to use.  

I saw one link that suggested I need to use an older version of the software, but that does not seem to make sense to me.  

Any ideas of how to get this to work? Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the link - unfortunately I already looked at this in my initial search and it is not helpful. While it provides a lot of information about the approach we are taking, and gives instructions for converting the sof file to a pof file, it does not say what to do in my situation where the desired programming mode (FPP) does not appear in the mode drop down menu. I really think there must be a setting somewhere in the software that is preventing the programmer from using FPP, but I have looked everywhere and cannot find it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update - I have found that this function works just fine in an older Quartus II software version (I tried 12.0).  

So in version 15.0 the Convert Programming Files GUI does not ever populate the mode pull down with Fast Passive Parallel options, but in version 12.0 it does.  

I looked through the release notes for versions 12-15 and did not see anything about this, so I assume the mode is still supported.  

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work in the newer versions. I don't want to be stuck on version 12.0... Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Pretty sure the passive parallel modes in 15.0 should be equivalent to the fast passive parallel modes. I can generate a Passive Parallel x8 .pof file in version 15.0.2 with no problems (targeting CFI_128Mb flash). Could this be a licensing problem? Do you have any IP in the design that requires a license that may have expired between the 12.0 and 15.0 releases? 

If you can't resolve this you should open a service request with Intel.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assumed the same thing, that maybe they just dropped the 'fast' part and are now calling it Passive Parallel.  

The passive parallel x8 mode does appear in the mode drop down, but when I click the generate button I get a pop up window with the message 'Device EP4CGX150CF23 does not support Passive Parallel x8 scheme'.  

This is what makes me think there might be a setting wrong somewhere in the project, because I know this device supports that mode. In fact I just programmed it using that mode with the pof file I generated in the 12.0 software and it is working just fine.  

I dont believe we have a licensing issue - our SW license is current. We are using the Qsys PCI IP, and other then that just some basic megafunctions and I did not think any of that needed a separate license. But I am just getting up to speed with this - I will look into the licensing issue a bit more.  

I already have an open service request with Altera but so far they have not responded with anything helpful... 

Thanks for the reply!
0 Kudos