FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

video streaming protocol

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey 

As explained in the documentation ' video and image processing ' ips use a video protocol, including ' video data packets' and 'control packets'. Also at every 'SOP' signal, theres a header identifying the start of packet. When i use a sgdma to transfer the data into memory, the header and even the 'control packets' will be saved, i guess. So should I develop a component to remove all the control packets and the header and then store them in frame buffer(in memory) ? Is my understanding correct of the video streaming correct? 

I need to do further processing on frame buffer. 

With Regards  

Aditya
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's not entirely clear what you're asking here. 

If the video stream that you intend to process could change resolution, then you may want to keep the control packets in external memory for your own benefit e.g. to figure out how big the frame you have stored is.  

Certainly, you will need to send the type with the SOP when you transmit the processed frame back down an Avalon-ST Video datapath. It is a good idea to to send a control packet before each video frame. In fact, that may become required in a future release. 

Aidan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ya thats true. But once i process the frame then i send to the display lcd(I am using NEEK). The ip's used for it are just a BGR0->BGR and a sync generator with adapters. Also my input packets are all of same resolution. Since the o/p blocks aren't those present in video processing suite, they don't  

follow the protocol i guess. So I dont plan to store the control packets and the 'type' at each SOP. If o/p blocks do comply to the protocol then i will have to send the 'type' at each SOP(marking start of frame). 

I don't know if my understanding of all this is correct... 

My doubt was just to know if my understanding is correct:) 

Regards  

Aditya
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Aditya; 

I'm working on buffering video data in memory using the SGDMA, could you give me an idea about that plz.  

thx 

Rabie
0 Kudos