Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

sw.tcl - what is it?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Quartus handbook says that there is a <name>_sw.tcl file that is "used by the software build tools to use and compile the component driver code." However, I cannot find any information on how to create that file. Does anyone know? 

This is to be used by Nios IDE I think. There is a similar file for HDL, called <name>_hw.tcl, that's used by SOPC Builder and IS documented. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are two different flows you can use for NIOS II software design. The first is the IDE flow. This flow does not make use of the "_sw.tcl" file. Instead it uses a component.mk file to describe the software file associated with a custom component. 

The "_sw.tcl" file is used with the software build tools flow. The "_sw.tcl" file is used to describe the software driver associated with a component (hardware or software component). You can find out more in Chapter 4 of the NIOS 2 software developer's handbook: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii52015.pdf (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii52015.pdf

You can also look at some of the example TCL script in the individual component folders of the IP libraries. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working with a new components driver and I need a _sw.tcl file for the NIOS tool to find the files. 

Can I generate this automatic? 

/Lennart
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is the version# declaration in my component_hw.tcl: 

set_module_property VERSION 1.0 

Here is the corresponding version# declaration in my my component_sw.tcl: 

set_sw_property version 1.0 

I regenerated my sopc system, then opened the NIOS II Eclipse Platform 

and regenerated the BSP for my project. 

Then when I click on the BSP editor and then go to the drivers tab, 

I can see the component listed, but the driver name is still "none" 

and the version number is still "none". 

Is there something further I might be missing? 

Perhaps I need to make a .ipx file for my component, or maybe I 

need to make my own class.ptf file for this component? 

Also, I have seen something on the Altera website the suggests I may have to run some kind of bsp shell script?? 

thanks!
0 Kudos