Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

EP2C15A & EP2C20 actually the same device?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I cannot suppress the thoughts that the EP2C15A and the EP2C20 devices actually contain the same chip. 

I did a compare on the BSDL files,ant the only essential difference is the device name.They have the same JTAG ID code,same amount of boundary scan cells and the same amount of RAM too. 

Maybe a EP2C15A is a partially defective device or deriberately crippled by Altera,but also the possibility exists that they are the same,and that the EP2C15A was only created for competitive reasons.(Lattice??) 

Has anyone tried 2C20 designs on a 2C15 ?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hold yer horses there pardner. 

There is one other difference between the two parts you overlooked. 

The price I suspect. 

While buying a copier for my home office a few years ago, I noticed that there were two models I was interested in. The one with 4 steps of zoom had a certain proce, and the one with fully adjustable zoom cost about $100 more. Being a smart engineer (or so I have diluted myself to believe), I bough the lower proced one, then cracked it open, and you know what I found, a hile in the plastice for another button to select adjustable zoom, and a place for the LED to stick through. $4 later, and there you go!. 

Go ahead an create a design that will fill up the 2C20, then target it for the 2C15A and let us all know how it goes. 

Won't fit, or will it?????? 

Stand by for the next post from the ...... 

............... cowboy_film_fan. 

Hi ho Silver, awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
0 Kudos