Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

ethernet connection

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been checking web server and simple sockect server applications. Both applications need to connect the host and the FPGA board to a network. 

How Could I do a local connection between the host and FPGA board by using TCP sockects? 

What changes Do I need in simple sockects server ?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI,please use command in dos windows 

c:\>telnet you_board_ip 30
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could be my explanation was not good enough. I meant web server and simple sockect server are application to connect the kit through internet network. 

What I have to do if I would need to read images from a local camera by using Ethernet conection?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are correct and incorrect in your thinking. Yes the two need to be connected to a network. Specifically they need to be connected to a network that supports IP addressing. However, that network can consist of a single cable between your PC and the board.  

1 - Grab an extra network card and plug it into your PC. 

2 - Use the OS to configure your new network interface to use Static IP addressing and give it an IP address and set the subnet accordingly. 

3 - Set the Simple Socket Server example code to use static IP instead of DHCP and set the IP address and subnet accordingly. 

4 - Connect your new network interface on your PC to the network interface on the FPGA board. You may need a crossover cable or adapter. Many PHYs now have crossover built in. If your network doesn't show a connection then you need a crossover. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your clarified reponse,

0 Kudos