Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

SignalTap Selective Sampling

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to sample my signals, the problem is I don't have enough ram blocks in my DE2 board to capture for long enough, so I though may be I can capture selectively. The trigger, however, only directs the analyzer when to start. So I thought it might be the "trigger out" condition that I should use to make it stop sampling during unwanted periods, am I right? But now the problem is apparently there's "5 cycles" latency on that, but 5 cycles is all I wanted to save between my samplings :) Is there any other way of doing this, so that I don't pay the 5 cycles latency? Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm trying to sample my signals, the problem is I don't have enough ram blocks in my DE2 board to capture for long enough, so I though may be I can capture selectively. 

--- Quote End ---  

A feature available in the last couple of Quartus versions might help. From the QII 8.0 handbook, Volume 3, Section V, Chapter 14: 

--- Quote Start ---  

The custom state-based triggering flow allows for more efficient use of the space available in the acquisition buffer because only specific samples of interest are captured. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the help. Beside that, I think the "Segmented" trigger is what I wanted, though it's not really clear. 

Cheers, 

Kaveh
0 Kudos