Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Passing parameters to tcl scripts

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone! I made a simple tcl script to copy my .sof file to a network-disk folder, then convert the whole PFGA chain to the rbf format. 

Is it possible to pass a parameter to the tcl script? I would like to give the name of the rbf file to the script, as a command line argument. The script is executed in the tcl consolle of Quartus II. 

Up to now, the only way I could find is is to modify the tcl script with an editor. Anyone can help me? bye
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi davide.camerano, 

Command line arguments are stored in the list named 'argv'. You can get the first argument with "lindex $argv 0" and the second argument with "lindex $argv 1". 

For example, assume that hoge.tcl contains the following: 

puts "1st argument is [lindex $argv 0]" 

If you execute the script as "quartus_sh -t hoge.tcl xxx", you will get the following output: 

1st argument is xxx 

Also you can use the cmdline package to specify command line arguments like -<option> <value> . For more information on the package, please refer to the page 3-37 in the following document. 

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii52003.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the help. I tried to insert a parameter in my script, based on your example, and it worked with the quartus_sh command from the windows xp command prompt, but it did not work from the quartus II tcl consolle, by using the "source script_name.tcl" command. Why?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The list 'argv' is not set when you source a tcl script. 

Instead, you can define a procedure with 'proc', and call it after you source your script. 

For example, suppose you have the following code in hoge.tcl. The code block defines a procedure named 'argument'. It takes two arguments. 

proc argument {first second} { 

puts "first=$first" 

puts "second=$second" 

To call the procedure, you need to source the script first: 

tcl> source hoge.tcl 

Then you can call it as follows. This example passes two arguments: aaa and bbb. 

tcl> argument aaa bbb 

The following will be output: 

first=aaa 

second=bbb 

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos