FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Area Optimized FFT hardware design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm developing my own custom hardware design of FFT algorithm (radix-2, CORDIC based), the design is resources constrained, with certain timing requirements to be met (timing constraints are relaxed).  

Now, I want to evaluate my design versus other area optimized reference designs. I searched in Altera reference designs library, but the FFT design there is balanced between time and area optimization, however what I'm looking for is a purely resources optimized design to have fair evaluation of my design. 

Anybody can help? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The R22-SDF architecture is a good choise. It's area optimized. 

Look for the paper: 

A New Approach to Pipeline FFT Processor 

ipdps.cc.gatech.edu/1996/PAPERS/S19/HE/HE.PDF
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot for this useful information, it really helped me. 

However, it'd be more helpful if the FPGA utilization was mentioned in the results in addition to multipliers, adders and memory usage results. It's mentioned in the paper that VHDL simulations were held for those algorithms, but no mention of the actual resources usage of the FPGA. Actually FPGA usage is a very important evaluation point in my study, since i'm not developing an algorithm as much as i'm implementing it on hardware. 

Also, I'm making a similar study on DCT processor (based on CORDIC too), so do u know similar area optimized design to compare to, like the ones u mentioned for FFT?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is a master thesis, it would help you a lot. This guy implemented an r22sdf FFT core. 

vlsi1.engr.utk.edu/ece/amiller-thesis.pdf  

Try synthesizing his VHDL code (i did it and it works)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can develop a DCT processor froma a FFT processor. 

http://fourier.eng.hmc.edu/e161/lectures/dct/node2.html
0 Kudos