Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

fan out problem in assigning

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to implement a CAM/RAM combination.  

the altera megawizard function dosn't provide a seperated bus CAM for (read_data & write_data)  

I have to send incoming_label to both: CAM and CPU but I facing with fan_out problem in assignment.  

providing input/output registering for CAM dosn't work  

how can i fix this problem?  

currently i don't want to design a new CAM device with separated bus.  

thanks. 

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.27decd1759.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?27decd1759.jpg)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You may design a bus multiplexer block which reads simultaneously the label_out and the output of the CPU and enables the output automatically when one of the two inputs has to be passed to the CAM-RAM block. In this way the two input busses will not feed the input simultaneously, thus avoiding the problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes thanks, I solved it after posting this thread with bus_mux in megafuncions it was very easy and exactly as you said, but I afraid about time conflicts with an interval between two components I though that using a MUX between two components limits my f_max more....but now I think just two main approach remains: 

redesigning the CAM with separated bus for writing and reading or using a MUX. 

the first approach will take long time to design if I want to implement comparable CAM with ALT_CAM megafunction in a synthesis perspective. 

so I have to sacrifice the f_max for this. 

actually if I don't mistake on these thoughts, but sincerely thanks for your comment that's exactly a right solution. 

Best Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are right, you will certainly see a decrease in the fmax, but typically the overall performance will be mostly dependent on the memory access time so you won't see a high decrease only for the presence of the bus multiplexer.

0 Kudos