Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Quartus II 7.x after upgrade of Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.04

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been running Quartus II 7.x successfully on a machine running Ubuntu 7.04. Yesterday I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 and ran in to some problems running Quartus. 

First of all the command asrch was not found, solved by adding a script called arch containing uname -m. 

After this the command getpid is missing: 

$ quartus getpid: Command not found. quartus: Command not found. 

getpid is normally not a command, but a C function or maybe perl or similar. Is there anyone that knows who is calling getpid and which package that might be missing? 

/ Joakim
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

After this the command getpid is missing: 

$ quartus getpid: Command not found. quartus: Command not found.getpid is normally not a command, but a C function or maybe perl or similar. Is there anyone that knows who is calling getpid and which package that might be missing? 

/ Joakim 

--- Quote End ---  

It is possible that your rc.local got messed up. Try re-entering values in rc.local for Quartus installation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your help, but what am I supposed to put in rc.local? 

Unforunately I didn't install Quartus myself from the beginning so I don't know too many details. Where can I find the best instructions? 

Most of the documents I can find on the internet expains how to get the licensing to work, by e.g. editing rc.local. But we are using a licence server on a different machine. In that case I thought it would be sufficient to have the env variable LM_LICENCE_FILE point to the server.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can find information about Quartus installation on unsupported Linux distros here: http://nioswiki.jot.com/wikihome/operatingsystems/quartusforlinux

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Most of the documents I can find on the internet expains how to get the licensing to work, by e.g. editing rc.local. But we are using a licence server on a different machine. In that case I thought it would be sufficient to have the env variable LM_LICENCE_FILE point to the server. 

--- Quote End ---  

Irrespective of the licensing, you still have to modify rc.local during Quatus II installation. The wiki has information on that.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm neither using licensing or the jtag tools so I can't see what the changes in rc.local should be good for. It's a multi user mashine so I would like to do as few changes as possible. 

Anyway, I think that I found the reason for my problem. I'm running a 64-bit kernel and it could not execute $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR/linux/quartus. (All files in $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR/bin is apparantly the same script executing files in $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR/linux) 

The solution was to install the package ia32-libs which probably disappeared during the upgrade of Ubuntu. 

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
0 Kudos