Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

SOPC Builder GUI Problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am running Quartus II version 7.2 and SOPC Builder 7.2 on Ubuntu 8.04. I tried to launch the SOPC Builder from Quartus and I find it that the SOPC main window is blank. However, I can still navigate to the menus (from memory) and have pop-up windows show up. I have attached an image of this as follows. 

http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotyc2.png  

FYI, I have updated my Java Runtime. At first I ran this with Quartus II 7.2 sp3 and I thought the sp3 might be causing problems, so I removed the entire Quartus directory and installed again but without the sp3. However, the problem persists.  

I can run things fine with the SOPC Builder classic but I find that very hard to use. Therefore, if any1 has any ideas on how to resolve this, please let me know. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The easiest method to resolve these issues is to use an operating system supported by Altera. Ubuntu is not one of them. Look I'm a Linux guy too but at some point we have to stop hacking and get some work done. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The easiest method to resolve these issues is to use an operating system supported by Altera. Ubuntu is not one of them. Look I'm a Linux guy too but at some point we have to stop hacking and get some work done. 

Jake 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your post. But I would really like to keep my current configuration. I will probably fall back to Windows if nothing else works.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you for your post. But I would really like to keep my current configuration. I will probably fall back to Windows if nothing else works. 

--- Quote End ---  

Or if you really want to keep Linux and use Quartus II (without buying the supported but paid distros like RHEL), use a fully-RHEL-compatible distro like CentOS. Everything in Quartus works fine in CentOS. You can also install Quartus on a Virtual Windows/CentOS Machine on your Ubuntu sustem and then use it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and Quartus 8.0 sp1 with patch 137 installed. 

I just installed the patch because the GUI suddenly stopped working. 

I tried lots of tips to get the GUI going again, now in the end I found that the mainwin toolkit used by altera stores a lot of stuff in ~/.mw.  

After simply doing a rm -rf .mw, quartus started up again without problems. 

@jakobjones:  

I don't see the point of switching my linux distribution. 

As i need to get stuff done, too, I can't change my distri for every tool I use. 

modelsim, ise, etc. are working on Debian/Ubuntu. So if they can handle it, so Altera should be able to do this, too? 

Ok, I could put the whole quartus stuff in a virtual machine. I don't know if that helps the performance though. 

Maybe Altera should use a different GUI-Toolkit ;-) I use Qt, and have no problems writing software that supports Linux/Windows equally without shipping tons of MSWindows emulation stuff. 

Cheers, Alex
0 Kudos