Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

NiosII IDE finding no Nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have had to rebuild my development environment on a new laptop. I have been using the Nios IDE from Quartus v6.1 to v7.2 without too many problems, with the public eCos. 

I installed the v8 + SP1 and found that I could no longer build, so I've gone back to 7.1, after deleting all mention of Altera from the registry, in addition to a full uninstall. 

The error msg (below) generated when building a Hello, world (no OS yet!), makes me think that I must have to run Quartus first - I've pulled the file set archived by Quartus out of Sourcesafe, but install.ptf does indeed contain no nois's - only blocks of Altera IP. Sadly Quartus 7.1 won't accept the .qpf as they were built on fpga engineer's PC with Q7.2, or possibly even 8.0.  

So does anyone know - do I have to treat Quartus' several install.ptf's as part of the file set that must be sourcesafe'd for version control ( I have found several install.ptf's in various directories on my other PC, so I'm not sure which ones matter). 

Thanks! 

Ken  

ERROR: module cpu (altera_nios2) not found in component directory (install.ptf) 

07-Oct-2008 17:01:49 - (SEVERE) generate: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: com.altera.ingenuous.GTFElement.GTFElementErrorException: <error> element in GTF script 

make: *** [/cygdrive/c/SourceSafe/Talisker/HeadBoardFPGA/quartus_build/software/hello_world_1_syslib/Debug/system_description/../obj/generated_all.mk-t] Error 1
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

ERROR: module cpu (altera_nios2) not found in component directory (install.ptf) 

--- Quote End ---  

Can you check the following points in your project: 

1. Open .ptf of the SOPC system and see if it has NIOS component. 

2. Open components directory (this is inside your project) and see what components are available there. 

3. Check in your project in IDE if HAL libraries of NIos are installed or not.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your suggestions:  

1. Open .ptf of the SOPC system and see if it has NIOS component. - Yes, its a II/e 

2. Open components directory (this is inside your project) and see what components are available there. -  

There is no components directory: perhaps that is specific to Q8? I'm trying to get Q7.1 & NiosII IDE 7.1 to work again, because installing Q8 broke my build environment on the old laptop. 

Lots of avalon drivers in the device driver folder. No mention of HAL libraries but I have created a syslib based upon my .ptf 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I do however have stuff like alt_dcache_flush.c in the default components dir below the install dir, i.e. in 

C:\altera\71\nios2eds\components\altera_nios2\HAL\src 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for your suggestions:  

1. Open .ptf of the SOPC system and see if it has NIOS component. - Yes, its a II/e 

2. Open components directory (this is inside your project) and see what components are available there. -  

There is no components directory: perhaps that is specific to Q8? I'm trying to get Q7.1 & NiosII IDE 7.1 to work again, because installing Q8 broke my build environment on the old laptop. 

Lots of avalon drivers in the device driver folder. No mention of HAL libraries but I have created a syslib based upon my .ptf 

Ken 

--- Quote End ---  

All this indicates that your NIOS installation is fine. The components directory that I was talking about is usually created when you add a new custom-component. Next I would like to know the following: 

1. Did you regenerate your SOPC system again after shifting to QII8.0? If not, you should do so (when you do so can you check the files getting updated). 

2. Did you recompile the project again in QII after regenerating SOPC system? If yes, you should do so after step 1. 

3. Once all this is done, go to NIOS IDE and recompile NIOS s/w project.
0 Kudos