Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

address decoding in vhdl

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

I have a soft-core processor and an uart. in order to send the data from output of the processor to the input of uart vhdl module, i'm thinking that i need address decoding to writes the data into uart?? am i right?? but to do the address decoding in vhdl, i dont have any idea how to write it..can someone guide me on how to do this ?? Thx very much 

regard, 

bruno 

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can use the higher address bus lines. 

Example: If you use the a12 and a13 lines 

cs=a12 and a13; 

cs is the chip select signal for uart. In this case the base address is 0x3000
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello, 

but to do the address decoding in vhdl, i dont have any idea how to write it..can someone guide me on how to do this ??  

--- Quote End ---  

It is very simple to write the VHDL code for an address decoder. A general code can be as follows: 

2-to-4 address decoder: Using if-else construct 

==================== 

if address = "00" then 

selection_lines <= "0001"; 

elsif address = "01" then 

selection_lines <= "0010"; 

elsif address = "10" then 

selection_lines <= "0100"; 

else address = "11" then 

selection_lines <= "1000"; 

end if; 

=================== 

You can also use "case-select" and "when-else" constructs to code an address decoder.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

which one is the address for the uart? 00 or 01 0r 10 or 11? should i fix the address of uart in my uart module?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

which one is the address for the uart? 00 or 01 0r 10 or 11? should i fix the address of uart in my uart module? 

--- Quote End ---  

"00", "01" are the addresses which you will be decoding. The "0001", "0010" etc. are the output selection lines of the decoder.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

"00", "01" are the addresses which you will be decoding. The "0001", "0010" etc. are the output selection lines of the decoder. 

--- Quote End ---  

i still understand what you meant. the data output of my soft-core processor is 32 bits width. this data output will be passed to the input of uart. do i need address choices when only uart is connected to the processor and no other??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

in my attachment is my zpu_core(my processor) and a uart. mem_write is data output from my processor.it has 32 bits width.how to write an address decoder between zpu_core and uart serial?? i'm still thinking about it...any starting idea would be greatly appreciated.. 

Thx
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

hello vizzie, 

are selection lines the output data? and "00", "01" for example as addresses for the selection_lines??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello vizzie, 

are selection lines the output data? and "00", "01" for example as addresses for the selection_lines?? 

--- Quote End ---  

That's right. Selection lines is the output of the decoder. "00", "01" are the addresses from the hypothetical source; in this case your zpu processor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello, 

in my attachment is my zpu_core(my processor) and a uart. mem_write is data output from my processor.it has 32 bits width.how to write an address decoder between zpu_core and uart serial?? i'm still thinking about it...any starting idea would be greatly appreciated.. 

Thx 

--- Quote End ---  

I saw your attachment. However all the signals for the uart can not be seen in the snapshot (please post it again). A rough idea is as follows: 

1. You need to decode the address to select the uart component. This means when the address lines of the processor are loaded with values pertaining to the address space of the uart, there has to be some means to start the uart operation.  

2. I don't see any address lines in the uart component. Does it have a select/enable component? In that case when the uart address is loaded on the zpu address bus, the select/enable lines should go high for the uart. You need to write an if-else type of construct for this. This is what we would call address decoding in this case.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello vizzie, 

see my attachments(uart and zpu in vhdl and bdf files). thx 

regards, 

bruno 

--- Quote End ---  

I saw your files and have following suggestions: 

1.Write logic to decode the out_mem_addr, out_mem_writeEnable and out_mem_readEnable to control tx_data_en, rx_data_en and rest of the uart. For example: 

================== 

if out_mem_addr = "uart_address" then --where uart-address is pre-defined 

if out_mem_writeEnable = '1' then 

tx_data_en <= '1'; 

tx_data_in <= relavant data; 

else 

tx_data_en <= '0'; 

tx_data_in <= (others => '0'); 

end if; 

--Similarly decode out_mem_readEnable with rx_data_en and rx_data_out etc. 

else 

--do nothing or reset the uart. 

end if; 

=================== 

2. This would be one way to decode the address of uart.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

where should i define my uart address?? in my uart_serial.vhd??

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

where should i define my uart address?? in my uart_serial.vhd?? 

--- Quote End ---  

You don't need to define uart_address. A uart doesn't need an address, right? The addresses are from the processor. A peripheral to a processor needs an address. 

So we have double whammy here :). Question: There are address lines coming from a processor but our peripheral/device has no port which looks like an address line. What do we do? Answer: Use some enable signal like chip_select or tx_enable which kicks off the peripheral to work as an equivalent to an address line.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there is blockram instantiated in my zpu_core.vhd. does this decoder take out one by one the data in the blockram(in attachment)?? can you give me examples of chip_select?? out_mem_addr(14 downto 0)="00000000000000", then 

chip_select='1'?? am i right?? 

thx
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

there is blockram instantiated in my zpu_core.vhd. does this decoder take out one by one the data in the blockram(in attachment)?? 

--- Quote End ---  

I can't say. You will have to simulate the design and verify. The decoder is meant to decode the addresses of the processor not that of a memory. A good reading of processor basics should clear your doubts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/microprocessor 

--- Quote Start ---  

can you give me examples of chip_select??  

--- Quote End ---  

Some good examples can be the select lines of a mux, enable lines of a counter and CS signals of external memories. 

--- Quote Start ---  

out_mem_addr(14 downto 0)="00000000000000", then 

chip_select='1'?? am i right?? 

thx 

--- Quote End ---  

No. The address should be that of a processor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello vizzie, 

i just realized that rs232 cant handle 31 bits. mem_write is 32 bits width. that means what comes out of my address decoder is also 32 bits width. tx_data_in must not be more than 8 bits..do you have any idea on this?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello vizzie, 

i just realized that rs232 cant handle 31 bits. mem_write is 32 bits width. that means what comes out of my address decoder is also 32 bits width. tx_data_in must not be more than 8 bits..do you have any idea on this? 

--- Quote End ---  

I suppose you mean you have 32 bits data bus from the processor and the device data width is only 8-bits (right?). If there are no specific bus-arbitration rules in zpu (which appears to be true), then what abt connecting the least significant 8-bits of data-bus to tx_data_in?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

that means, if i only use the 8 least significants bit, will i have the same output data as before??

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

that means, if i only use the 8 least significants bit, will i have the same output data as before?? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes I believe so, though you must check this out.
0 Kudos