Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20702 Discussions

AS configuration with SPANSION SPI flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I try to program my Cyclone III (EP3C16) though AS configuration. I do not used EPCS but a SPANSION S25FL016A0LMFI001 which have the same Silicon ID than the EPCS16 (14h) and with the same opcode (ABh). 

So when I try to program the SPANSION flash with Quartus II programmer (7.2 SP1) I have the following message : 

Error: Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1 

So what could I do and look at to solve it ? 

Thanks for your collaboration
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AS mode is reserved for Altera configuration devices. You have to switch to PS mode.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

AS mode is reserved for Altera configuration devices. You have to switch to PS mode. 

--- Quote End ---  

No you can still use the Spansion flash. Now how are you trying to progam it? Are you using the active serial method, the JTAG indirect method, or the nios2-flash-programmer method? 

Here this thread on the NIOS forum might give you some insight: 

http://forum.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7695 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using the JTAG indirect method with the Quartus II programmer (used in AS mode) with USB blaster connecting to the JTAG port of the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are doing the JTAG indirect method (using a .jic file). Then you want the programmer in JTAG mode not Active Serial Mode. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I thought that the JTAG indirect method used the .pof file :confused: . I translate the .pof file in .jic with EPC3 loader and now it seems good :) . 

Thanks a lot for your help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Glad it's working. You may have noticed the JIC method can be a bit slow. If you plan to do this for manufacturing, you may wish to look at using the nios2-flash-programmer as a faster alternative. 

Jake
0 Kudos