Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

hardware architecture of af altera cyclone

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

i have a live design evaluation board which altera cyclone on it.i have programmed a soft-core processor on that fpga.all i need to do is, write a simple programm to the processor in order an LED on my board will blink.i need to write the programm in eclipse cdt. now i don't know how to connect the eclipse cdt with my processor using architecture of altera..and the connection between the processor and led..simply i dont know how the whole system works..can someone guide me step by step?? 

regards, 

bruno
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you using the NIOS II processor? If so then you should be using the NIOSII IDE and you should do a little reading: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio2.jsp 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no..i'm using zpu processor from opencores.org..i really need help..i'm very inexperience on this thing..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello, 

now i don't know how to connect the eclipse cdt with my processor using architecture of altera.. 

--- Quote End ---  

Eclipse is an environment for coding, compiling and downloading. It is a generic environment and can be used for any processor. So, if you want to use it for your zpu processor, then you should prepare a library of drivers (= software programs that zpu will use to communicate with the peripherals in your specific project). I am sure they may already be available on zpu source sites. Else, you need to code drivers. Please also go through Eclipse documentation in this regard. 

--- Quote Start ---  

and the connection between the processor and led.. 

--- Quote End ---  

Once you are done with a software library of drivers, this is pretty simple. Your software library will also contain zpu drivers to communicate with led ports (actually LED is just one device from a family of devices which are driven by single ttl/otherwise lines). You will have several functions in your library (which you will have coded yourself) to control and monitor status of LEDs like LED_Read, LED_Write etc. 

--- Quote Start ---  

simply i dont know how the whole system works..can someone guide me step by step?? 

--- Quote End ---  

Though this is not very tough, it is important that you spend some time coding drivers. A deep perusal of NIOS drivers will be a good start as also the way libraries should be coded in Eclipse.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thx vizzie for the tips!! 

a found some header files and source files inside the files..but how to use them is another problem and it's also tough to understand the header and source files..some more there is no documentation of them...and some of the files i never saw in my life...can i attached the files in order for you to see?  

Regard, 

Bruno
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

thx vizzie for the tips!! 

a found some header files and source files inside the files..but how to use them is another problem and it's also tough to understand the header and source files..some more there is no documentation of them...and some of the files i never saw in my life...can i attached the files in order for you to see?  

Regard, 

Bruno 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Bruno, 

It really needs some experience before one starts coding the libraries. You should start with some samples in NIOS itself. I haven't done much coding either for libraries etc. I indeed regret that I would be unable to help you in this regard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

can you give me the link where i can read...or the easy example..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello, 

can you give me the link where i can read...or the easy example.. 

--- Quote End ---  

You can start from reading NIOS examples (they are all documented very well) and the documentation on Eclipse website.
0 Kudos