Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Help!!! .pof file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm a newbies of Altera software. May I know how do I open .pof file any software can use? Thanks. :)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The pof file is used by the Programmer, accessible directly inside the Quartus II environment. 

Have you installed Quartus II?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The pof file is used by the Programmer, accessible directly inside the Quartus II environment. 

Have you installed Quartus II? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yup, I have Quartus II. Can I view the contents with Quartus II? Is .pof file is a program source code?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think Altera lets you view *.pof and *.sof files. You can only use them to program your FPGA using the Quartus II programmer...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't think Altera lets you view *.pof and *.sof files. You can only use them to program your FPGA using the Quartus II programmer... 

--- Quote End ---  

Do you mean .pof is some sort like machine code (.hex)? Which Altera file extension can view the source code?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I am saying is that, I don't think Altera wants you to be able to read pof files... 

Why do you need to read them anyways??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The pof file is the binary file for programming the configuration memory. You could view it in any binary file viewer f you like but it won't tell you much - it's just a load of binary stuff. 

Source code could be .vhd or .v or .bdf or .tdf or probably many others depending on the language.
0 Kudos