Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20690 Discussions

bank recommendations for LVDS Signals in Cyclone II?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i want to use a Cyclone II (EP2C35F484) as a LVDS transmitter and a Cyclone II (EP2C5F256) as a LVDS receiver. In the Cyclone II Device Data Sheet you can see, that every I/O Bank in Cyclone II supports LVDS Signals, but i´ve heard that some Banks are more suitable for LVDS than others. Can somebody tell me which Banks are optimal for LVDS in my devices? 

The bit rate is only 80 Mbps. 

Thanks in Advance! 

Stefan
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cyclone II, unlike Cyclone III or Stratix and Arria has basically identical LVDS specification for row and column IO pins. You can select any bank(s), that can use a 2.5V supply without conflicting with other requirements, e. g. configuration pin connection. Furthermore the pin placement rules for differential pins require a distance to single ended I/Os in the same bank. It's advisable to check the pin assignment by Quartus before finishing the PCB.  

With Cyclone II, a three resistor driver termination and a one resistor receiver termination is required. Alternatively, the mini-LVDS one resistor driver termination can be used for reduced speed.
0 Kudos