Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16610 Discussions

constrain sdram_controller in timequest

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i've never used timequest before. And i want to constrain my design(a sdram_controller) using timequest. i've read quartus handbook and some other documents about timequest(TQ_Analysis_forum.ppt,Constraining SOPC Designs v1.0.doc,etc) but i am still confused about how to add constraints. 

The design has a clk_in(25MHz),a asynchronous reset_in and a common sdram interface(sd_addr,sd_dq,sd_dqm...) 

i generate 2 clocks with a pll from clkin,one to feed my logic(sclk,160MHz),the other to feed sdram(sd_clk,160MHz,phase-shifted) 

my sdc file is as below.# ################################# 

create_clock -period "40.000 ns"  

-name {clk_in} {clk_in} 

derive_pll_clocks 

set sd_clk sys_pll_inst|altpll_component|pll|clk[2] 

create_generated_clock  

-name sd_clk_pin  

-source $sd_clk  

[get_ports {sd_clk}] 

set_input_delay -clock sd_clk_pin  

-max [expr 5.5 + 0.6]  

[get_ports sd_dq 

[*]] 

set_input_delay -clock sd_clk_pin  

-min [expr 2.0 + 0.4]  

[get_ports sd_dq 

[*]] 

set_output_delay -clock sd_clk_pin  

-max [expr 1.5 + 0.6]  

[get_ports {  

sd_cke  

sd_cs_n  

sd_ras_n  

sd_cas_n  

sd_we_n  

sd_ba 

[*]  

sd_addr 

[*]  

sd_dqm 

[*]  

sd_dq 

[*]}] 

set_output_delay -clock sd_clk_pin  

-min [expr -1.0 + 0.4]  

[get_ports {  

sd_cke  

sd_cs_n  

sd_ras_n  

sd_cas_n  

sd_we_n  

sd_ba 

[*]  

sd_addr 

[*]  

sd_dqm 

[*]  

sd_dq 

[*]}]# ################################# 

i am not sure if it is correct. 

how should i constrain the input_delay and output_delay?which clock should i use?how should i constrain the reset_in? 

can someone help me?:confused: :confused:
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's tough to tell from just this. First, how is sd_clk phase-shifted? From that we'll know the relationship to your non-phase-shifted clock and the default setup and hold requirements.  

Secondly, when receiving data, is it the roundtrip delay of sd_clk going off chip, clocking data from the sdram, and then it coming back? Just making sure, since this looks like how it's constrained.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you read this thread (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1269)? There is a good document that explains how to constrain different interfaces with TimeQuest.

0 Kudos