Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Newbie to Quartus II, Can't find ram.vhd refered to in Tutorial

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm a newbie to Quartus II. 

I've just downloaded and installed the Quartus II 8.0 sp1 Web Edition software which I'm running under Vista Ultimate on my notebook. I've been going through the tutorial and have gotten to Module 2:Create a Design, Step 1: Create a new Project in which it says at page 2 of the New Project Wizard  

"In the add files page, we browse to the default working directory to locate the ram.vhd file".  

I've searched both drives of my notebook and have been unable to locate this file, nor was there a default working directory C:\quartus\tutorial as shown in the tutorial.  

I've also downloaded theThe Quartus II Software Interactive Tutorial Zip file and have searched for ram.vhd on the Altera website but have not found the file in either. Can anyone help with the location of the file, or does it not come with the web edition of Quartus II maybe?  

I had previously run the "How to begin a simple FPGA design" tutorial and found that the simple_counter.v file was part of the CIII_Starter_Kit-v7.2.0 documentation which I had to download and install separately. Is it possible that the ram.vhd file is part of another starter kit? 

Oh and just in case anyone mentions it, I was not shouting by putting Add Files and ram.vhd in bold type. That's how it appears in the tutorial. 

Many thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is in your tutorial a step in that you must instatiate an altsyncram megafunction? or doe's the tutorial reference something like that?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi parrado and thanks for your reply 

The next step after the one I've described is to add the c:\quartus\libraries\megafunctions library folder so I'm guessing that the instatiate an altsyncram megafunction step your referring to is somewhat after this.  

The step I've described is pretty much the first thing in creating the project in the first place. I'm assuming that from the folder the tutorial specified to look for the ram.vhd file in, that it should be already there as an example file as part of the tutorial.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could you post the link to the tutorial that you're using.?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

The tutorial is called 

The Quartus II Software Interactive Tutorial 

and the link is 

https://mysupport.altera.com/etraining/webex/tutorial/tutorial.zip 

or if you want to run it directly from the web the link is 

https://mysupport.altera.com/etraining/webex/tutorial/qtutorial.htm 

though if you have Quartus II running and click on the help Menu there should be a sub menu under that called Tutorial which appears to be the same.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi.  

I am new to FPGA and I have the exact same problem (can't find ram.vhd for Quartus II interactive tutorial).  

Did you find a solution since your last post ? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Syntax, 

I sent a service request a couple of weeks ago and got the following reply. 

"The design files used in demo of Quartus II Interactive Tutorial is not provided with the installation of Quartus II software. Quartus II Interactive Tutorial does not serve to provide a laboratory type of hand on or practice as the Interactive Tutorial itself does provide you interactive kind of practice in “Guide Me” and “Test Me” for each module. The ram.vhd that was used in the interactive tutorial is actually a dual-port ram which can be created easily by using MegaWizardPlug-In Maganer. Well, I have attached herewith the ram.vhd per your request. Enjoy the training, thank you." 

The original reply did not have the file attached so I had to request it to be resent. I've purposely left out the name of the person who made the reply. 

The contents of the ram.vhd file I received was as follows 

-- megafunction wizard: %RAM: 2-PORT% -- GENERATION: STANDARD -- VERSION: WM1.0 -- MODULE: altsyncram -- ============================================================ -- File Name: ram.vhd -- Megafunction Name(s): -- altsyncram -- -- Simulation Library Files(s): -- altera_mf -- ============================================================ -- ************************************************************ -- THIS IS A WIZARD-GENERATED FILE. DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! -- -- 8.0 Internal Build 207 04/21/2008 SJ Full Version -- ************************************************************ --Copyright (C) 1991-2008 Altera Corporation --Your use of Altera Corporation's design tools, logic functions --and other software and tools, and its AMPP partner logic --functions, and any output files from any of the foregoing --(including device programming or simulation files), and any --associated documentation or information are expressly subject --to the terms and conditions of the Altera Program License --Subscription Agreement, Altera MegaCore Function License --Agreement, or other applicable license agreement, including, --without limitation, that your use is for the sole purpose of --programming logic devices manufactured by Altera and sold by --Altera or its authorized distributors. Please refer to the --applicable agreement for further details. LIBRARY ieee; USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; LIBRARY altera_mf; USE altera_mf.all; ENTITY ram IS PORT ( clock : IN STD_LOGIC ; data : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 DOWNTO 0); rdaddress : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (4 DOWNTO 0); wraddress : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (4 DOWNTO 0); wren : IN STD_LOGIC := '1'; q : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 DOWNTO 0) ); END ram; ARCHITECTURE SYN OF ram IS SIGNAL sub_wire0 : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 DOWNTO 0); COMPONENT altsyncram GENERIC ( address_aclr_b : STRING; address_reg_b : STRING; clock_enable_input_a : STRING; clock_enable_input_b : STRING; clock_enable_output_b : STRING; init_file : STRING; intended_device_family : STRING; lpm_type : STRING; numwords_a : NATURAL; numwords_b : NATURAL; operation_mode : STRING; outdata_aclr_b : STRING; outdata_reg_b : STRING; power_up_uninitialized : STRING; read_during_write_mode_mixed_ports : STRING; widthad_a : NATURAL; widthad_b : NATURAL; width_a : NATURAL; width_b : NATURAL; width_byteena_a : NATURAL ); PORT ( wren_a : IN STD_LOGIC ; clock0 : IN STD_LOGIC ; address_a : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (4 DOWNTO 0); address_b : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (4 DOWNTO 0); q_b : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 DOWNTO 0); data_a : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 DOWNTO 0) ); END COMPONENT; BEGIN q <= sub_wire0(15 DOWNTO 0); altsyncram_component : altsyncram GENERIC MAP ( address_aclr_b => "NONE", address_reg_b => "CLOCK0", clock_enable_input_a => "BYPASS", clock_enable_input_b => "BYPASS", clock_enable_output_b => "BYPASS", init_file => "ram.hex", intended_device_family => "Cyclone III", lpm_type => "altsyncram", numwords_a => 32, numwords_b => 32, operation_mode => "DUAL_PORT", outdata_aclr_b => "NONE", outdata_reg_b => "UNREGISTERED", power_up_uninitialized => "FALSE", read_during_write_mode_mixed_ports => "DONT_CARE", widthad_a => 5, widthad_b => 5, width_a => 16, width_b => 16, width_byteena_a => 1 ) PORT MAP ( wren_a => wren, clock0 => clock, address_a => wraddress, address_b => rdaddress, data_a => data, q_b => sub_wire0 ); END SYN; As was said in the response, this is a wizard generated file, however it looks nothing like the bits of the file as seen in the tutorial. I've also tried to recreate both the one in the tutorial and the code in the reply using the wizard but have yet to work out which symbol was used for either. 

Before receiving the file I had written what I thought was the ram.vhd file from what I saw in the tutorial which was much simpler code and resulted in a symbol that appeared graphically and functionally correct. When I progressed further into the tutorial however I received timing errors compared to the example. Due to my current work load I have not had time to pursue this any further at this stage. 

Unfortunately I have to say that I have found it some what disconcerting to try to follow a turtorial that is incomplete and at this stage and I just can't be sure if the errors I'm getting are from something I'm doing wrong or whether the tutorial has problems. I've also found a recurring bug which sometimes causes .bdf files not to paint properly necessatating me to reboot my notebook. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the software, my notebook or Vista but it's all just a bit too frustrating for me at the moment due to my other commitments. 

Anyhow, following is the code I created so see how you go and if you have any better luck than I've had, please let me know. 

thanks 

Sward 

LIBRARY ieee; USE ieee.std_logic_1164.ALL; ENTITY ram IS PORT ( clock: IN std_logic; data: IN std_logic_vector (15 DOWNTO 0); wraddress: IN integer RANGE 0 to 31; rdaddress: IN integer RANGE 0 to 31; wren: IN std_logic; q: OUT std_logic_vector (15 DOWNTO 0) ); END ram; ARCHITECTURE rtl OF ram IS TYPE mem IS ARRAY(0 TO 31) OF std_logic_vector(15 DOWNTO 0); SIGNAL ram_block : mem; SIGNAL rdaddress_reg : INTEGER RANGE 0 TO 31; BEGIN PROCESS (clock) BEGIN IF rising_edge(clock) THEN IF (wren = '1') THEN ram_block(wraddress) <= data; END IF; q <= ram_block(rdaddress); END IF; END PROCESS; END rtl;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Two years on and Quartus II version 10 has the same tutorial but still with no ram.vhd. 

Later the spoken words refers to connecting a pin to the 'mult' block, but the block shown in the image is a 'ram' block. 

Tutorials like this can take a very long time to produce. What a pity it has not been done properly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am an intern at Altera trying to follow the tutorial and have come across the exact same problem. The tutorial files are still unavailable.  

Just an update, 

natez
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey,  

I'm using Quartus version 12, and this problem still exists. Just bumping it up in the hopes someone will see it.  

for Science,  

-Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Step 1 of tutorial 1 is broken, that seemed to me to be beyond unprofessional. 

Now I learn this has been a known issue for FOUR YEARS?! 

Should I be worried that this company has just stopped trying?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Step 1 of tutorial 1 is broken, that seemed to me to be beyond unprofessional. 

Now I learn this has been a known issue for FOUR YEARS?! 

Should I be worried that this company has just stopped trying? 

--- Quote End ---  

DEAR PEOPLE FROM THE FUTURE: Here's what we've figured out so far ... 

The bad news is that the "Getting Started Tutorial" found in Quartus is not intended to be something you actually follow along with at home, and has remained this way for many years. It just introduces you to the GUI elements and some of the process flow. Arguably, if you need to be walked through a GUI by the hand with "click here, then click there" video and then quizzed on the subject afterwards, you should ask yourself whether FPGA development is really for you. 

The good news is that Altera has a pretty good tutorial called "My First FPGA" found in http://www.altera.com/literature/tt/tt_my_first_fpga.pdf that really is something you can follow along with at home. Other tutorials can be found via the Altera literature index, or in the quartus\common\help folder as PDF files. 

I know that this threat has been dormant for a while, but hopefully this answer clears things up a little as the issue is still present as of v13.1.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I downloaded an Altera Quartus Version 13.0 SP1 after purchasing a Cyclone II Development Board, which I have great enthusiasm for learning FPGA Programming. I am going through the tutorial and encountered the same issues as others have posted here years earlier - and to no resolution from Altera. 

I have to say that I am greatly disappointed that Altera would release a tutorial that is incomplete at best, broken which is more realistic to most reading this. The purpose of a tutorial is to walk us through the process of how to create a simple project; not to leave us stranded on a broken road to nowhere. 

For the amount of money I paid for my development board, I should expect tutorials to be in working order and complete if Altera would like to keep their customers happy and to improve their FPGA skills. Xilinx is another FPGA manufacturer. Is the message from Altera to tell us new customers that they want us to move on to another manufactuerer?
0 Kudos