FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

Help using SDRAM!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm creating a project on the DE2 Educational Board which has to display images in 256 colors and a resolution of 640x480 on a screen. However I don't know how to use de SDRAM (which has 8 Mb) without using NIOS. Could please someone post an example of this??? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Terasic (DE-2 vendor) has several examples using the ccd and lcm, camera and display respectively. This examples use a verilog SDRAM controller without the Nios II processor. 

Here is the link of an example 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/attachment/archive/78/de2_lcm_ccd.zip 

Hope this help you. 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

I also make a progect with image processing in resolution 640*480,using sdram,but I just started learning sdram. 

If you have some explanation how to use it,or examples, 

I'll appreciate if you could send to me. 

Thank you, 

Roman.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a working sdram vhdl controller. But it is meant for the device MT48LC2M32B. It is too big and involved and was used for some deep interleaving. I chopped off to leave a demo which may/may not work but should give you some idea about sdram in general. 

The demo module writes 128 bits of input data to sdram which has a 32bit bus,then reads it back. It needs row/column address as input to control the functionality as required. The sdram module must be fast enough to accomodate all states of the design per data clock cycle. The sdram clock and data clock domains must be related(153.6/8.53333... = 18 exactly) 

You will need to get the datasheet for above device to understand the vhdl. 

edit:you also need to connect the sdram datain/out to the one bidirectional bus. For readability I left the correct row/column addressing to you.
0 Kudos