Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

Jtag problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here we go again! 

For a very simple project i used a MAX7032S. 

Suggested pullup an pulldown are used at jtag pins, connections kept as short as possible and large ground path as well. 

Only way to download POF file to my handwired prototype is to fit few picos capacitors 

across Clk, TMS and ground. 

I would not like to fit this capacitor on the final PCB!! 

Any suggestions ???? 

Thanks in advance 

Alf 

P.S. 

Using BYTEBLASTER II
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Half, 

Normally you must only use a PullUp on TDI,TDO and TMS and a PullDown on TCK 

With a Usb Blaster you don't have any problem to program your EPLD. 

If you want to be sure You can insert a resistance (value apr. 26.1O) between Blaster and the component.  

In my opinion this does nothing in your case because you have only one component.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think handwired may be a keyword for understanding the problems. Generally, from the JTAG signal, only TCK is edge sensitive, thus if you manage to produce a ringing TCK at the CPLD pin (e. g. by wiring inductances), the JTAG interface may see false TCK edges and fail. A small capacitor at TCK may sometimes help to get a clean TCK signal, but an appropriate wiring would be a better and more reliable way, I think. With a good PCB wiring, you shouldn't need capacitors.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Agree with FvM, just have a look at the schematics of the various Altera Development kits (available in download on the Altera website) and consider that implementation of the JTAG interface. You won't have problems!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks guys 

My thinking is the same, i'll be sure just with the arrival of the final PCB 

I'll keep you informed about it. 

Thank you for the moment. 

Alf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

every thing looks fine with the final PCB

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Stratix II device and met some problems about jtag configuration, please help me : 

when jtag operates good, the impedance 's between TCK and ground : 992K. Then, Quartus prompted that "can't access jtag". I measured TCK waveform on osciloscope and see that TCK pulse 's amplitude is reduced, and impedance became 50 ohm. Can Anybody help me ? 

Thanks for your attention.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What exactly do you mean when you say that at the beginning the JTAG interface seems working? Do you perform normal operations initially and then suddenly you have a failure? 

What board is that? An Altera evaluation board or a custom board?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi OrchestraDirector ! 

It's a custom board that use to control camera. It configured good at the beginning (about 50 times), then I can't access jtag. I have got 4 circuit boards. Among them, 2 boards died jtag port (config many times) and 2 board still operates good (use rarely). I checked waveform of jtag port on bad and good boards by oscilloscope. I see that, the waveform amplitude of TCK signal is reduced on bad boards, i measured impedance on TCK pin of bad boards and good boards. It followed : 

1st bad board : 50 ohm. 

2nd bad board : 62 ohm. 

3rd good board : 992ohm.  

4th good board : 992 ohm. 

about config circuit, I used from other circuit (it still operated good). I can't understand why it damaged jtag port ? this is my config circuit :  

I didn't used pull up resistor on TDO pin (follow altera guide). 

Thanks in advance ! 

http://www.cavepic.com/image-1219_4935ead3.jpg 

http://www.cavepic.com/thumb-1219_4935ead3.jpg (http://www.cavepic.com/share-1219_4935ead3.html)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you done some soldering rework on the two bad boards? It is a very typical situation that after a soldering rework, if the soldering paste has not correctly washed with a solvent, the JTAG port suffers from parasitic low impedance paths which destroy the signals.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a problem of programming the device epm7128sti100 with usb-blaster,  

I made prototype board of device programming, I/O pins except JTAG ports are open. If I operate progmammer, it's display "unrecognized device" and the output waveform of TDO is unstable. The output is appeared first, but disappeared several operating. 

Please help me.  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you try the JTAG Chain Debugger in Quartus Programmer to narrow down the error analysis?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I checked it. But "JTAG configuration invalid" on instantce manager and "No device in selected" on JTAG Chain Configuration window are display. 

If click Auto detect in programmer, it's display "Unable to scan device chain. Can't scan JTAG chain". Did I incorrect setting in menu? But I think that the settings in menu are simple. Why...???? Help me!!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

JTAG debugger works also with no device detected. But it most likely won't give additional information. It can be used however, for some JTAG hardware checks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, FvM 

All of Vcc connecting JTAG pullup resistor and the device are 5V in my board. 

For pogramming the device, does Vcc connecting JTAG pullup resistor change to 12V? 

Vcc of the device is 5V. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos