Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Programming Problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm having a curious problem programming my Cyclone III FPGA over JTAG. Everything was working fine until a couple days ago. Now, when I load a design via JTAG, Quartus claims the programming is successful, but all my IO pins are driven high (like my design didn't even load). Could this be a symptom of a bad FPGA. Perhaps one that got fried somehow? I haven't worked with these that much so I don't really know what they look like when they fail. 

Thanks, 

Andrew
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I'm having a curious problem programming my Cyclone III FPGA over JTAG. Everything was working fine until a couple days ago. Now, when I load a design via JTAG, Quartus claims the programming is successful, but all my IO pins are driven high (like my design didn't even load). Could this be a symptom of a bad FPGA. Perhaps one that got fried somehow? I haven't worked with these that much so I don't really know what they look like when they fail. 

Thanks, 

Andrew 

--- Quote End ---  

What kind of board do you use ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check the conf_done pin on your FPGA. Is it going to high level at the end of the configuration?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Once I had a similar problem, the fpga were going to reconfigure itself from EPCS "AFTER" I uploaded the program to Nios and so, all the pins were Z. 

at my situation the problem was hiding in SOPC configuration. try to recreate your SOPC and see what happens.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if u are talking about the unused pins,in quartus gpi,u can go to settings->device&pin options->unused pins and select the state of unassigned pins there but if u are talking about the assigned pins,u should check your vhdl code of those pins' corresponding component and see and set the initial state of those registers.If the initial states are logical low and after programming u see those being high,this means the fpga isn't programmed normally and u should check the component's editor tab in sopc builder by right clicking the component and clicking edit comp.

0 Kudos