Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

DE2 ADV7181 AD converter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi folks, 

I still work with Altera's DE2 board. This time I want to use AD converter. 

If I'm right, the output signal from DE2 DA converter is within a range 0 to 1,4V. 

Input signal range for AD converter is up to 1.6V. 

I want to know the following:  

Can I just pass the output from the DA to the input of AD converter on DE2 board. Do I need to configure AD converter somehow? 

Please, share your experience with me. Thank you very much. 

Bojan
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The application isn't clear from your post. The ADV7181 is dedicated to different kind of video signals and not suited for general ADC applications, I think. The ADC (Decoder) chip outputs time multiplexed digital video format. The ADV7123 in contrast has indidvidual RGB inputs and should be usable for GP DAC apllications as well. A back-to-back connection surely isn't possible. See the Terasic demonstration code as interface example.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much. 

I just want to use both DA and AD converter for General Purpose. Not for video signals or similar. For example, I want to use the output from DA converter as the input for AD converter. Is it possible? You say that DA converter ADV7123 can be used in general purposes in contrast to AD converter ADV7181 which can be used only for video signals. Are you sure? 

Best Regards. 

:confused:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And where can I find Terasic demonstration code?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you sure? 

--- Quote End ---  

It's my understanding of the datasheet, but you should look yourself. The default automatic mode most likely isn't suited for your application, may a special configuration can work. The data format has to be decoded to select e. g. an Y stream. 

The Terasic demonstration examples are on the DE-2 CD shipped with the board, the CD content is also downloadable from terasic.com.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The ADV7181 is a video decoder, not a simple ADC, it is intended to catch an analogue composite video signal, automatically detect if it is PAL, NTSC or SECAM and extract its component data from the original signal. 

You can have a look at: 

http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-digital-converters/video-decoders/adv7181/products/product.html 

So your loopback test is not possible.
0 Kudos