FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

is there a mechanism in verilog to validate parameter values?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm working on a very simple verilog module that has a parameter for the width of an input signal. I'll be using "[WIDTH-1:0] nomenclature for register instantiations, for instance.. 

Two questions: 

1) What will happen if they try to pass me a value of "0" ? 

2) More importantly-- how can I "validate" the value is a Natural number (1 or greater) at compile time and throw an error if a value less than 1 is passed? 

thanks! 

..dane
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1) Test it :-) and give answer. I think it not accepted by Quartus. 

2) In VHDL, I use assertions. there may be an equivalent in Verilog. 

++
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it going to be a custom component in SOPC Builder? If it is, you can add ranges to generics in your hw.tcl file that will notify the user and stop him/her from generating the project if the value is outside the range.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

1) Test it :-) and give answer. I think it not accepted by Quartus. 

2) In VHDL, I use assertions. there may be an equivalent in Verilog. 

++ 

--- Quote End ---  

1) wiseguy .. :) I knew I could test it -- but that only yields results very particular to one software (Quartus), and moreover, one version of that software (I'm using v7.2) ... I was hoping for a more "Verilog Lanugage Rules" type answer... :) 

Anyways, QII v7.2 gives the following error: 

Error (10232): Verilog HDL error at ***v(**): index 1 cannot fall outside the declared range [-1:0] for vector "****" 

2) Did some checking -- Verilog doesn't seem to support Assertions yet ... :( maybe we can hope for a future revision to include support..  

--- Quote Start ---  

Is it going to be a custom component in SOPC Builder? If it is, you can add ranges to generics in your hw.tcl file that will notify the user and stop him/her from generating the project if the value is outside the range. 

--- Quote End ---  

Nope-- not using SOPC builder this time around .. no need for this project.. thanks though! 

..dane
0 Kudos