FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

DE2 SRAM Flash & Tristate Bridges

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

in the example DE2 designs for NIOSII SOPC systems, the SRAM is connected directly to the Avalon Bus while the Flash is connected via a tristate bridge. 

What is the reason for that?  

In the Quartus Handbook it says that one has to implement a tristate bridge if the offchip component has bidirectional pins. That is the case for both memories. Address & databus sharing is not designed into the board, the busses are separate, so no tristate bridges for that either. 

:confused: Can someone elude me? 

Thx, Fried
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

what do you mean address/data bus sharing? not clear. 

My understanding is that if avalon IF data(as opposed to fpga pins) is bidirectional then you need tristate bridge. 

I don't know about DE2 but I will assume avalon data is bidirectional for flash but separate input/output for sram(then bidirectional at fpga pins through your tristate bridge).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SRAM and Flash are connected by separate individual address and data busses to the FPGA. Both data busses are bidirectional, SRAM is 16 bit and Flash is 8 bit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I understand address and data are separate. I also understand that data in both cases are bidirectional. But is the avalon interface itself having bidirectional data ports in both cases?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think so, both connections in SOPC builder go directly to the cpu intsruktion and data masters, so I don't see how these path can be unidirectional? Well, I'll try to build a system without the tristate bridge to the flash and see if it will work. I have yet to acquire a good understanding of bridges and their use. 

Thx, Fried
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So who is doing the tristate work? It must be either the Nios system or somewhere in the fpga. Else it can't be done. 

For any bidirectional pin you must have a tristate arrangement to cutoff your output drive when reading the input. Sopc does it for you plus some extras e.g. address mode transfers.
0 Kudos