Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Linux : Unexpected error code 89

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! (I'm using Centos 5) 

I'm trying to download my hardware configuration in my board but when I run the programmer there's a message from Quartus that said that an error with code 89 occurs. What is this ? anyone knows what's going on? 

Thank for answer me.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem and the same OS (quartus and nios2 suite 9.1, Centos 5.4 64 bit). 

Can anyone help us?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I downloaded quartus 9.1 for linux yesterday and got the same issue on RHEL 4. If you run: 

quartus-pgm --auto 

from the command line you get much more information. It appears to be a problem with configuration of the usb jtag device. It looks like you need to set up a udev rule to handle the jtag device on usb. I haven't got to the bottom of it yet, so if anyone can help I would be glad to hear any suggestions. 

Thread 1207 (I'm not allowed to post a link to it apparently) seems to have all the correct information, but I haven't got my RHEL 4 udev sorted out, and I can't seem to get it to recognise the jtagd service. 

If I get it sorted soon I will post a reply here.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The likely cause of this error report is with Linux and how it grants permissions to the USB device. A further symptom of this problem is that you can successfully access the JTAG interface as root, but not as a non-root user. 

The Quartus® II software uses the built-in USB drivers (usbfs) on your Linux distro to access the USB-Blaster download cable. By default, root is the only user allowed to use usbfs. You must change the permission on the ports before you can use the USB-Blaster download cable to program devices with the Quartus II software. Please review the USB Blaster User Guide: 

Go to page 13 of the USB-Blaster Download Cable User Guide on Altera.com 

altera.com/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr.pdf#page=13
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello  

Please can u provide me with more details i couldn't solve this problem.I'm new to linux. i've CentOS 6.3 and quartus II 10.1 

Thank u so much
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

For udev issues, you just need to create a rule; for this purpose, just copy and paste the following into a text editor 

(gedit for example) : 

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", GROUP="plugdev", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster"  

Pay attention to not add line brakes ! 

then , you save it as : 40-usbblaster.rules 

then copy (with root privileges) into : 

/etc/udev/rules.d  

After a reboot, it should work ... 

(I'm a debian user, it may be a bit different on another distribution, i should be able to help in such a case ! 

And i presume you are using a usbblaster or some kind of)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot, I'm using quartus 13.0 on linuxmint 13 maya 64 bit and had the same problem with USB blaster (errror 89), and pasting the stuff from the official instructions didn't seem to work. This fixed it though.  

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

For udev issues, you just need to create a rule; for this purpose, just copy and paste the following into a text editor 

(gedit for example) : 

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", GROUP="plugdev", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster"  

/etc/udev/rules.d  

(I'm a debian user, it may be a bit different on another distribution, i should be able to help in such a case ! 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Happy it works for you ! 

Cheers
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

(gedit for example) : 

/etc/udev/rules.d  

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you very much . My problem sloved also.And I use the debian 7.3 quartus 11.0 in the kde desktop surroundings.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

The solution from lyrez did not work for me. 

I'm using (inside a VM with USB-Passthrough): 

Linux 3.10.30-1-MANJARO# 1 SMP Fri Feb 14 06:07:50 UTC 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux and Quartus II 32-bit Version 13.1.0 Build 10/23/2013 SJ Web Edition  

The following line inside a udev-rules-file "/etc/udev/50-embedded-devices.rules" did the trick though: 

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", GROUP="users", MODE="0666"  

This should work for Arch Linux in general (Manjaro is a linux distribution based on Arch Linux). 

I used the following resource as starting point: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/udev 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

(gedit for example) : 

/etc/udev/rules.d  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
ADave
Beginner

For the entire knowledge to get the full process of the quartus 13.0 on linuxmint 13 maya 64 bit and had the same problem with USB blaster (errror 89) that you can get easily from the help of the Google Drive tech help - https://googlesupport.co/google-drive-support/ to maintain the full process.

0 Kudos
RRoni2
Beginner

Hey, Could you give me much more details regarding the same, right now with his information i'm not able to understand your problem or also i couldn't solve this problem.I'm new to linux. i've CentOS 6.3 and quartus II 10.1 Thank u so much. BTW You can take help form https://www.121techsupport.co/garmim-map-update/ experts to handle the entire process.

0 Kudos