Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Program MAX3000 without JTAG?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm going to use the MAX3000A (EPM3032A) in a project and I need 34 i/o ports so I will have to disable the JTAG port and use the four JTAG pins as I/O. I've found the setting in Quartus to disable the JTAG port. But if I need to reprogram the device, how can this be done if JTAG is disabled? 

I hope anyone has a clue 

/Viktor
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

MAX3000A has an option for high-voltage programming through Altera Programming Unit (APU) and some third party programmers. I didn't see a documentation for high voltage programming in datasheet, there's only a remark that OE1 is used as high–voltage pin during programming.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm interested in this too. Looks like 11V enables JTAG again... 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd02212005_950.html 

I haven't found more info about that. 4 more pins would be handy. I wonder if Byteblaster II could be used (after or during 11V on OE1).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I wonder if Byteblaster II could be used (after or during 11V on OE1). 

--- Quote End ---  

I suppose during. I'll check occasionally.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I suppose during. I'll check occasionally. 

--- Quote End ---  

What results? 

Anyone knows a time diagrams for it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't have an opportunity to check yet. I suppose, operation is similar to protection write enable with flash memory (e.g. AM29F0xx). You have to apply high voltage during the intended programming action. The transition to high voltage and vice versa should have a limited rise time, e.g. > 500 ns for the said flash. Extending it to several µs by a RC filter should be save anyway.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anyone know where I can get a high voltage programmer?  

The Altera PL-APU (544-1244) seems to be obsolete. 

Terry
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assume, that Altera provides the HV programming specification for programmer manufacturers and that it's actually supported by industry standard programmers and test equipment with programming features. You may want to ask either the respective vendors or Altera about it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I also had this problems 

After checking many documents and spend several time i can program the chip with a simple jtag programer(non high voltage). 

Both of high voltage programing and non high voltage programing, algorithm and hardware is same, but in high voltage programing pin OE(pin 44 in EPM3032) must be connected to 11 volts. 

I disconnect it from anywhere and connect it to the 12 volts in circuit with a 1k ohm resistor to programing and reprograming the chip completely and verify, when jtag is disabled. 

After programing is done, the resistor must be disconnected. 

Thanks everyone.
0 Kudos