Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

MAX7000 power and Slew rate control

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I have having problems with a simple 15 bit counter being un-reliable - various bits in the top byte appear to change as the bottom byte crosses the 0x00 / 0xFF boundary. 

This sounds like a ground bounce (or similar) problem to me. 

Hardware is new and unproven, I have tightened up the ground planes with some copper foil to no avail. 

Dev environment is Quartus II 8.1 web edition and design is a mix of Verilog and schematic capture. 

I am now trying to switch off all of the Turbo bits in the device. The design will tolerate being clocked at 10MHz, so nothing is moving very fast. 

I have found the Turbo bit attribute in the assignment editor so I should be able to slow down I/O slew rate. 

Current pin settings are "<bit name>, Turbo Bit, Off, Yes". as well as the assignment of location and pin number. 

Nothing I have done so far seems to have affected overall power consumption (I am expecting about a 30% reduction when I move to power save / no Turbo mode). 

The data sheet for the MAX7k implies that every macro cell has a Turbo bit - is there a global setting to set the whole device into low power mode by default ? 

Any other places I should be poking about in Quartus to find more power saving features ? 

Many thanks, 

Mark
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Without knowing the code - and clock speed -, it sounds rather like a problem of inappropriate synchronous data processing.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FvM, 

You are correct, there was a bug in my Verilog, I am still new to this languge. If you can point out what I am doing wrong in this example I will be grateful. 

Clock was running at 24MHz. The intenet of the design is hopefully quite obvious. 

Thanks, 

Mark 

============= 

// Use I/Q shaft encoder input to 

// control a 16 bit up/down counter 

// use all available input edges 

module IQ_interface(clk, I, Q, count); 

output count; 

input clk, I, Q; 

reg last_I, last_Q; 

reg [15:0]count; 

always @(posedge clk) 

begin  

if(last_I != I) // detect change of I input 

begin 

last_I <= I; 

if(I ^ Q) count <= count + 1; // incrementing appears to work OK 

else count <= count - 1; 

end 

if(last_Q != Q) // detect change of Q input 

begin 

last_Q <= Q; 

if(I ^ Q) count <= count - 1; // decrementing has the bug 

else count <= count + 1; 

end 

end 

endmodule
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a general problem with the code, not obvious at first sight. It's from the fact, that I and Q are asynchronous inputs, unrelated to clk. They have to be synchronized to clk. A general rule recommends to use a two FF chain to handle possible metastable states, although a single FF as below usually solves the problem. The assignment of previous values can be performed in the unconditional code as well. 

As far as I understand the I/Q logic is basically correct, so the below code should work. 

module IQ_interface(clk, I, Q, count); output count; input clk, I, Q; reg Is, Qs; reg last_I, last_Q; reg count; always @(posedge clk) begin Is <= I; Qs <= Q; last_I <= Is; last_Q <= Qs; if (last_I != Is) if (Is ^Qs) count <= count + 1; else count <= count - 1; if (last_Q != Qs) if (Is ^Qs) count <= count - 1; else count <= count + 1; end;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I like the elegance and simplicity of your solution. It also explains why all of the (synchronous) test harnesses that I wrote for the part in Verilog all worked fine, yet the real-world failed. 

On an unrelated subject, do you know if there are any global switches for the MAX7k to put the whole part into low(er) power, slower slew rate mode ? I am currently configuring every pin as non-turbo which is a bit tedious. 

Regards, Mark
0 Kudos