Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20702 Discussions

IDE hard disk and CF component

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using Altera CF component to for write data to hard disk. I have some problems with CF component signals and IDE pins signals. 

The sopc generate a "output [ 10: 0] addr_from_the_cf" signal. But i cannot find any IDE pins that is suitable for it. I only three IDE pins that are responsibility: Addr2, Addr1, Addr0.  

can my system work well if I assign addr_from_the_cf[2:0] to addr[2:0] of IDE pins ??? 

And there some IDE pins that CF controller doesn't support. Can I assign these IDE pins to GROUND or VCC 5V? 

In the SOPC, I provide 100 Mhz clock for CF component. Can anyone explain to me how th frequency affect CF operation? 

Can anyone suggest me a solution? 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The usage of [A10:0] clarifies, that the CF card is operated in pc memory card mode rather than true ide mode by the driver. Unfortunately, the first mode isn't compatible with IDE hard drives. There may be several reasons, why the designer choosed PC Memory Card Mode for the CF interface, one is in the fact, that true IDE mode isn't fully supported by some card types respectively not working correctly. 

You definitely need a different driver component to interface an IDE (PATA) hard drive. I can't give further hints, cause I'm not working with SOPC and CF/IDE interface. There may be a different driver available.
0 Kudos