Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16598 Discussions

Upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1; sld_hub.vhd error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to migrate my design from 8.0 to 8.1, and get the following error after restoring the archive in 8.1: 

Error (10652): VHDL Assertion Statement at sld_hub.vhd(433): assertion is false - report "The design file sld_hub.vhd was released with Quartus II software Version 8.0 Service Pack 1 and is not compatible with the current version of the Quartus II software. Remove the design file from your project and recompile." (FAILURE or ERROR) 

I can't seem to locate where the sld_hub.vhd file is, nor do I know how to remove it. Can someone point me to the right location?:confused:  

--Mickey
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure but I think it's got to do with the JTAG port. Does your design include a signal tap? If so you might recreate the signal tap block using 8.1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm not sure but I think it's got to do with the JTAG port. Does your design include a signal tap? If so you might recreate the signal tap block using 8.1. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I agree with Ben. You need to update your <>.stp file with Quartus 8.1. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had this, just delete (you might want to back it up first) your projects db directory. Next compile QII will recreate the db directory and all it's contents using V8.1. 

Steve
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This may be unconventional, but I located the offending file in \megafunctions directory, and renamed it to sld_hub.old  

Recompiled the whole project, and everything seems to be working well now. 

FWIW, signaltap was disabled in the project. 

--Mickey
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This may be unconventional, but I located the offending file in \megafunctions directory, and renamed it to sld_hub.old. 

--- Quote End ---  

You gonna miss this file, if you once have any virtual JTAG IP in your design, may be SignalTap, Source&Probe, In System Memory Editor or such. I don't think, that you have an old file in your Quartus V8.1 megafunctions directory, if so, it would have a different file date than the other sld_xxx.vhd files. 

I rather guess, Steve_dB was correct with his suggestion.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Responding to FvM's comment, I was guessing that the megafunctions directory was a subdirectory of the project directory and not the Quartus installation directory like C:\altera\81\quartus\libraries\megafunctions. I've been given .qar files that had a megafunctions directory under the project directory. I didn't get such a directory when I tried a test case, but I'm pretty sure it comes from enabling "Include functions from system libraries" in the "Archive Project" dialog box. When megafunctions change between Quartus versions, using this project-archive option can cause trouble.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes you are right, Quartus archiver exactly does what you said. I wasn't aware of this option. In this case, I would try without the project\megafunctions directory, that only contains code from the same name Quartus directory, it's either superfluous or possibly wrong in most cases. It may be needed in conjunction with IP cores from previous versions sometimes.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I'm referring to the <project>\megafunctions directory.  

Renaming the <project>\db directory and re-compiling did not work. The problem is not there as the new directory is identical to the one I renamed. Successive compiles just add additional files in and overwrite what they need 

I will try renaming the <project>\megafunctions directory and see what files get re-created 

In a related topic, where do I learn which archive options are best for migration to a new revision, long term backups, etc?  

--Mickey
0 Kudos