FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Does TSE MAC supports TCP/IP protocol?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm working on Altera first time. can anyone tell if TSE MAC supports TCP/IP protocol. If it supports what is the architecture to connect Ethernet to NIOS II processor core using TSE MAC.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The TSE Mac Hardware is an Ethernet Interface.  

TCP/IP and UDP are higher layer protocols that are carried over Ethernet (usually).  

Hence the TSE can support any protocol carried over Ethernet (TCP/IP, UDP etc) as it has no knowledge of what the higher protocols it is carrying are. 

The issue is whether the software Network Stack you are using supports TCP/IP. 

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have an Altera development kit. If you've got a kit with a PHY on it, it's extremely easy to get Ethernet up and running with the NIOS. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also need to use the know the architecture to interface the TSE MAC with the NIOS. Is there some kind of user guide for the IP?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh and you should read the user's guide: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, 

one more clarification regarding TSE MAC. In user guide it says TSE MAC has 24 ethernet ports( or multiport MAC). What does it mean? does it mean we can have 24 distinct ethernet links( with 24 distinct PHY connected to TSE MAC) on board? Please explain..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, that is meant exactly. I think, the question can be answered rather easily by continuing user guide literature after the General Features page.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi 

i need to connect to several ethernet link because i make a router by using triple speed ethernet  

but i don't have any idea how i can connect multi-channel shared memory with multiport TSE  

can any one help me
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

impossible!!!

0 Kudos