Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

EPCS4 serial eeprom

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am finding it very hard to make epcs4 serial eeprom work. Code is very simple but I dont know where Im going wrong. Can this serial eeprom work using SPI?  

Thanks
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't see any reason to start a new thread in this topic. Generally, it's difficult to decide from a distance, if you're facing a misunderstanding of EPCS datasheet, wrong operation of your microprocessors peripheral or a trivial hardware problem. Any of these issues can happen, even to an experienced developer. You have to find a way (a debug strategy) to check your design's hard- and software operation yourself. 

EPCSx are basically serial SPI flash devices, compatible devices are manufactured by other vendors. e.g. Winbond (although not officially supported by Altera).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have checked with the SPI peripherals and hardware connections aswell. Eveything seems to be fine. I wonder if any delay should be given before or after the op-code instructions.  

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

Can EPCS4 only be interfaced with Stratix® III, Stratix II GX, and Stratix II FPGAs, Arria™ GX FPGAs, and the Cyclone® series FPGAs or can it be interfaced even with other MCU's???
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's a regular SPI flash device that can be interfaced by any uP.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you connecting to the EPCS4 via an Altera FPGA? 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

No, Im using freescale 8 bit MCU to interface EPCS4. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Plz .. i need help, i wrote a VHDL code that can write using I2C protocol ,and it work correctly, but when i try to read from the eeprom it give me nothing  

... and i want to know in the reading of the data(n) should i generate the i2c clock signal or the slave will do ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should have created another thread, your question has nothing to do with the EPCS serial eeprom. 

To answer your question, yes, the master is always generating the clock in the I2C protocol.
0 Kudos