Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

How could I complie more Pins than free I/O Piins that Devices Provided

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I complied my project yesterday, QuartusII software gave me a error message: 

Error: Can't place 108 pins with 2.5 V I/O standard because Fitter has only 81 such free pins available for general purpose I/O placement. 

I know there are more pins in my projects than the device could provided, but I seemed to once seen that QuartusII could assign some virutal pins, I did not know how to made these assignments in QuartusII. 

I used CycloneIII device and QuartusII8.1. 

Could anyone tell me where I can made the assignemts in QuartusII for the virtual pins, or the blurry memories that I remembered was wrong? 

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When I complied my project yesterday, QuartusII software gave me a error message: 

Error: Can't place 108 pins with 2.5 V I/O standard because Fitter has only 81 such free pins available for general purpose I/O placement. 

I know there are more pins in my projects than the device could provided, but I seemed to once seen that QuartusII could assign some virutal pins, I did not know how to made these assignments in QuartusII. 

I used CycloneIII device and QuartusII8.1. 

Could anyone tell me where I can made the assignemts in QuartusII for the virtual pins, or the blurry memories that I remembered was wrong? 

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated! 

--- Quote End ---  

You can do that on the Quartus Assignments Editor by making unused pins as Virtual
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To vijays, 

Thank you very much for you help, I have find Virtual pins assignments in Quartus Assignment Editor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Everbody, 

I am trying to communicate between the cyclone 2 EP2C5Q208C8N and the SDRAM, (Model: IS45S16400F , 1 Meg Bits x 16 Bits x 4 Banks (64-MBIT),SYNCHRONOUS DYNAMIC RAM). 

(I use Quartus 8.1) But to understand how it works I tried the Tutorial, but in this tutorial they use the NIOS 2 Processor, so I need to understand this processor. So I began the tutorial “My first NIOS 2 processor Getting started”. Problem: The examples are only for the cyclone 3 or other fpga`s. So I chose another tutorial: 

“Nios 2 Development Kit Getting started” 

Problem: I have the same problem like senlin.  

But I don`t know which signals/pins I have to change in the assignment editor that the software don’t give me the error message again. 

Somebody can help me, please?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use a latest version of Quartus, 12.1SP1 web edition

0 Kudos